New GPS Need Help

Hay Guys

I just Bought an new Gps Hand unii

Know I need to leard where to find an progrom where I can down load some TO PO Map ?

Can any one Help or give me some pointer .

Redbone

The unit is comming with the basic US map, but if you need topoUS - you have to go and get one from Garmin Store.
Chris

For the Lowrance units get "Lowrance MapCreate USA Topo". I'm not sure if that unit has expandable memory or not.

Hay Guys

I just Bought an new Gps Hand unii

Know I need to leard where to find an progrom where I can down load some TO PO Map ?

Can any one Help or give me some pointer .

Redbone

IMO those things aren't worth all that much without good map reading skills and an actual map (USGS Quadrangle) of the area you intend to hunt/use the thing in. Setting the datum to that of the map you are using is one key thing to learn.

Once you get the mapsource product installed, download the latest updates at Garmin. We'll Take You There.™. Also install google-earth, which integrates nicely with mapsource (you can send waypoints and tracks to google-earth).

I love to mark the positions of blinds, fishing holes, boat ramps, and most importantly, where my truck is parked on long hunts/hikes. Having a GPS in the dead of night is a great way to get back.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.