Need a new 300 win mag. Need help.

tctt3

I like the rem 700's. For about the same price , should I go with the 700P police, sendero sf2, or sendero?? I don't really see much difference besides the fluted barrel. What should I look for? Trying to get as accurate as possible for a 300 win mag under $1000. Help! Thanks!

Are you hunting with it or just target shooting or both? How far are you considering shooting with it?

I am very partial to the sendero SFII. Never seen one that wouldn't shoot.

I like the rem 700's. For about the same price , should I go with the 700P police, sendero sf2, or sendero?? I don't really see much difference besides the fluted barrel. What should I look for? Trying to get as accurate as possible for a 300 win mag under $1000. Help! Thanks!

Sneer Sfi2 or Milspec 5R, both very accurate out of the box and designed for long range shooting.

I'd be hunting with it 90% of the time. The range at my farm, and the longest I really have close to me, is 500 yds. I'd like to get into a little longer shooting down the road, but for now, if I could get a very accurate 500 yds, I'd be very happy. Im tired of seeing big bucks at the end of my fields and not being able to do anything but hope they come closer!! So, im doing something about it!

And thanks for the help and advice. I really don't know the difference between those guns, and Remington doesn't list the "police" version on their site. Somebody on the classifieds here has 2 senderos listed, and gunbroker has a police, brand new, for the same price. So, just trying to see what the better deal and gun is.

Also, I just bought 2 nightforce nxs 5.5-22 x 50 & 56 off of a member here on the classifieds. So, im ready to roll with optics. I just need an accurate gun that won't need a lot more work to get it shooting on top of itself!

Thanks again!

Hi tctt3,

Are you certain that you want to go with a .300 Win Mag? I've fired one from a bench. It did recoil, more so than was comfortable. But that's my take. Yours will probably be different.

Based upon what you intend to hunt and the ranges you intend to hunt, I'd recommend a .280 Rem. But that's they way I'd go, which might be the wrong way for you. I hunt with a 7MM Rem Mag and a .270 Win. I have made long shots on deer and antelope with each. They will kill game at very long range. The 7MM Rem Mag is the most powerful hunting cartridge that I can shoot from a sporting rifle off a bench without recoil becoming an issue. Even a .308 Win will satisfy your criteria, and it won't hurt to bench shoot all day long.

As far as guns go, my first choice would be Sako, but that'd set you back at least 2 grand. On the upside, Sako guarantees five-shot MOA, which means you won't have to invest to make it accurate. From experience, I can tell you that Sako rifles are beyond extremely accurate. My second choice would be this one: Tikka T3 Hunter Tikka guarantees three-shot MOA. I have yet to read a negative thing about Tikka.

I'd suggest doing a lot of research. Try to shoot your friends' rifles to find out which is right for you. If you have a friend who owns a .300 Win Mag, buy a box of ammo and put twenty rounds down range. If recoil is manageable, then that's the way you ought to go.

In the end, it will be your rifle that you'll hunt with. So you'll have to go with a gun that's right for you.

I wish you many successful hunts.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I've had a 300 win mag, and yes it goes boom. I have a 308 pss that I am also putting a NF on, and I have 30-06, 270, 3030, 243, 22-250's etc. im just looking for a long range gun I can take out west for elk, moose, bear, etc. Really, I just don't know the difference between those rem models, and i didnt knkw sako and tikka had those moa guarantees. That's pretty strong out of the box! Thanks!

My recommendation, since you seem set on a .300, would be the 5R Milspec with a threaded 24" barrel. I just ordered one in but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I was looking for the same thing: Heavy barrel Rem, very accurate, around $1k. I've shot .300s with and without brakes and they are certainly manageable without, but for shooting in volume I love having a brake. This gun will get a new trigger and skim bedding and should be somewhere in the .5 MOA range when I get her load dialed in.

What about a suppressor? I have a buddy that gets them made for him here, and said that they tightened his groups up considerably. I've never heard of that make. Are they special order?

Another thougt is Kimber. US made. Light for carry @ 7lb. match grade action and barrel that's pillar and glass bedded. Adjustable trigger and Win 3 position type safety and more. Mine shot 1" groups while breaking in. Now shoots .5" repeatabily but it has a thin barrel and has to cool down more often between shots. They sell for under $1500

What about a suppressor? I have a buddy that gets them made for him here, and said that they tightened his groups up considerably. I've never heard of that make. Are they special order?
A suppressor could be screwed on just as easily as a brake. They are essentially a silencer and a muzzle brake in one, but you need to go through some paperwork and fees to get one. Not so with a plain muzzle brake. Recoil is reduced dramatically with either so in many cases accuracy improves.

The 5R Milspec is made by Remington and is very similar to their other heavy barrel offerings. The barrel is a bit different with the special 5R rifling but the rifles have a reputation for being extremely accurate. They are a limited run that Remington makes every so often. I think they just finished up a run so you should still be able to find a few on gunbroker or various retailers. The .300 comes in a 24" threaded or a regular 26" barrel.

A suppressor could be screwed on just as easily as a brake. They are essentially a silencer and a muzzle brake in one, but you need to go through some paperwork and fees to get one. Not so with a plain muzzle brake. Recoil is reduced dramatically with either so in many cases accuracy improves.

The 5R Milspec is made by Remington and is very similar to their other heavy barrel offerings. The barrel is a bit different with the special 5R rifling but the rifles have a reputation for being extremely accurate. They are a limited run that Remington makes every so often. I think they just finished up a run so you should still be able to find a few on gunbroker or various retailers. The .300 comes in a 24" threaded or a regular 26" barrel.

I have this Rem 700 Milspec, 300WM, 24'"threaded barrel. I easily mounted a brake on the threaded barrel. Recoil is equivalent to a 243win. Only replaced the trigger. I get 2900FPS with Berger210's and Nosler 210 LRAB's and sub .5MOA accuracy. An excellent buy for $1000!! Also have a few Milspect 308's that perform as well. Bought them all off the Guns America site. There are quite a few dealers there.

They don't offer the regular Sendero anymore. They only offer the Sendero SFII.

However, that being said, if you like the palmswells of the HS stocks, I would opt for the Sendero SFII, or look for a model 700 26" 5R MilSpec in .300WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.