Need help on new build!!!

Bang4theBuck

I have posted about a new 6mm build in another post. I havge a new dilemma that I have to solve today! I am building a 6mm Creedmoor and intended to build on a short action, and utilize a box drop magazine. I have not settled on which brand bottom metal/magazine arrangement yet, but if I intend to shoot heavies (105-115ish) bullets, will I have any trouble with getting to/near the lands with the limitations of the short action magazine? Should I be considering building this on a long action to seat bullets out at/near lands? Prompt responses appreciated as the action is going to be fit with barrel as soon as 2 days from now. Thanks.

What is your distance to the lands? I know the 6.5 cm is built to shoot heavies at mag length. Those are bigger, longer bullets. If it is a standard reamer you should have no problem.

I also shoot with a guy that has put thousands of 115 dtacs through a 6cm out of a short, action surgeon 591. He doesn't have any feed issues that I have noticed.

Have you been able to measure your CBTO on the chamber with the bullet you plan to use?? No way to be 100% without that number.

I have the chamber reamer print and I could get the data on the bullet, but seems like there would still be guesswork involved without actually having the assembled components. The chamber is a match chamber with a slightly longer throat for use with the heavy bullets.

You could always put it in a chassis system, no magazine worries then. I was very reluctant to ever use a chassis and am still very new to them, but I like em pretty well.

The 6mm creedmore with bullet seated with the boat tail at the neck shoulder junction is 2.67" with the 105 berger and 2.79" with the 115 berger.

upload_2018-1-25_15-8-10.png

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.