Need help with what stock to build on

drewman

Hey all

I don't post much but I do read all or most of the great stuff here. So I'm looking to the experience of you all for a little help for my first custom build.

I'm having a hard time making a choice. Looking to get a stock to start a project. Shooting for a carry long range rig. I like the looks of the HTG but have no experienc with them. I have experience with the HS that is on my Sendero and the run of the mill sporter stokes but that is all.

Does anyone have any experience with the HTG or any similiar stocks.

Thanks.

I have just built a long range hunting rig that weights 10.5 pounds (300 rum) and went with the MPI fiberglass stock. It was reasonably priced, had lots of options (I had a sako style palm swell added) and best of all it was here in 3 weeks! try that with HS or mcmillan. your lucky if you get one of theirs in 16 weeks. I ordered the stock to my barrel contour (#5) and action (montana rifleman) and left the rest to my gunsmith. he did reenforce the forend to make it extra stiff for a bi-pod. now that its all said and done I love it and would use another MPI. If you are shooting a magnum, make sure you ask for the "Magnum reenforcing " around the action. good luck!

MPISTOCKS.COM Superior Custom Rifle Stocks

As another option if you like wood is to use the Accuracy Innovation which has a full length aluminum block for the entire action. They will work with your blank or use a laminate your choice.

Manners composite is another to give consideration to as well good luck!

Stocks

Drewman
Sounds like you need to check on a Accurate Innovations Laminate.

Specweldtom on this web site is a dealer and can give you all the
details.

There are some very good composite stocks to choose from that save
some ounces but sling pressure or a bypod can effect the point
of impact.

What I like about the A I Stock is that it has a bedding block that
goes from the rear bedding screw all the way to the front sling
swivel stud where you attach the bypod plus the laminate is very
stiff and adds only a few ounces of weight.

I have switched most of my rifles to this type of stock and have seen
an improvement in all of them.

Just my opinion But check it out
J E CUSTOM

Just got my English blank back as a completed stock for a varmiter. It is kind of a hybrid design with the front end being pretty flat an about .5 wider than the regular hunter stock. Even sent the barrel blank along with the stock blank so the channel would be perfect. Very impressed with the workmanship…

Lead Time should be better as well with one of the other owners stepping in to run things now.

Joel Russo of this web site can build you a laminated stock in your choice of laminate colors. He will custom glue the colors you want. He can do you an A-5 type or an A3/A4 modified or a thumbhole varminter.

He is off bear hunting with PhilinNY AKA Badluckw/bears and should be back in a week or so.

While the synthetic stocks are nice there is just something about wood that makes you feel good.

drewman; I got on to the Accurate Innovations stocks about 2 1/2 years ago. I was tired of doing paint jobs on composite stocks trying to make them look different. They make solid wood stocks in everything from 1A claro walnut to just about anything you want, and laminates in several different colors and combinations. All have the aluminum chassis that extends up to the front sling swivel screw, and all have aluminum pillar blocks installed. I recommend them for the rifles that I build, and also for just re-stocking a rifle. I have to wait for them from 2 months to up to a year for the English walnut Supreme with lots of options. They have been worth the wait. Prices range from about $375 for a completely finished laminate stock for a working gun to $XXXX for an optioned exotic stock.
The best group so far is 3 shots in .031" out of a .416 Buff that JECustom built and stocked in an A.I. laminate Varminter. Of the targets that I have gotten back from customers, all of the customs built by JECustom and myself are shooting < 1/2 moa, and most of the heavy barrels shoot 1/4 moa or better. Among other things, that tells me that the stocks are getting it done.

Have you decided on an action, barrel maker, caliber?

Check out their website Custom Replacement Gunstocks, Rifle Stocks for some pictures and info. They are updating the site, so everything may not come up.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the build. Tom

Thanks

Great ideas but Im hard on stocks and I would hate to scratch a nice wood stock. Case in point I have a wonderful old Winchester shotgun with a factory diamond grade stock that was my great grandfathers. If I scratched it I would feel like s--t! So I'm going to go with a composite.

On that note anyone have a Manner and what do you think?

Thanks again
Drew

I have a Manners CF stock on my 1K Light Gun that was built to the SG&Y print(Speedy built several prototypes) and I love it. I have a call into him right now about a sporter for my 300 Jarrett that I am going to build. I have the action, barrel and reamers -- just need a stock now!! May still do a AI on a Screwbean blank I have but the CF is calling me pretty stong!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.