Need help with a LR 7mm build!

Varmint hunter, You got to understand I had the opportunity to build a number of guns and keep the hot barrels. Both of those loads mentioned were out of 28" Hart barrels. The 7mm-300 wby had the wby freebore in it which explains the velocity difference since both are virtually identical cartridges. I agree both of those are extremely accurate long range performers with a wide range of bullets.

I dont know anything about the 7mm Dakota. Where would be the best source of info on the Dakota? I sure like the info I've seen on the 7mm AM though.

The 7 Dakota is very close the the STW as a ballisitic twin. It has a little shorter and fatter case and will fit most magnum boltfaces - may need to open slightly. The shorter case gives you a lot of COAL flexibility in the long actions. It's a great cartridge but not very prolific since it is proprietary. Dakota advertises 3200 fps with a 160 gr bullet out of a 25" barrel. As far as I know, Dakota is the only place to get brass and they are proud of it.

Dakota Arms Cartridges including 7mm Dakota and 300 Dakota

The 7 AM is an improved 338 Lapua case and has a lot more performance than the Dakota. It will also have a shorter barrle life. Always trade offs.

Mark

Well, I think I will go with either the 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm SAUM until I put the cash together for a 7mm Allen Mag. Thanks to all for the great info.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.