New chronograph suggestions

comfisherman

Was shooting today with the old chronograph working up a new load, the wind and light were giving that old pact fits. The sad realization that my old pact has given me many a good day, but its the chronograph equivalent of a 1971 Silverado, goodie in its day but........

So, what's worth looking at, is there a price point that's worth saving for?

I'd like something with skyscreens that don't catch wind like the pact, and maybe one that does a little better on the weird sunlight days.

The old thing works so good, but there has to be some better technology out there.

Magneto speed looks like a neat idea, couple of questions for the guys who have them.

I have a couple oddball rifles, a few short barreled mags, and a radially ported bake. Both have massive amounts of muzzle blast, how does that effect the stability and reliability of the chronograph.

I like to shoot at various yardages to reverse extrapolate bc, I'm assuming there is no way to do this with the magneto speed.

On the radar, what was the projected price?

We were impressed with the Lab at SHOT and will be selling them, too.

Anxious to try one out.

Magneto speed looks like a neat idea, couple of questions for the guys who have them.

I have a couple oddball rifles, a few short barreled mags, and a radially ported bake. Both have massive amounts of muzzle blast, how does that effect the stability and reliability of the chronograph.

I like to shoot at various yardages to reverse extrapolate bc, I'm assuming there is no way to do this with the magneto speed.

On the radar, what was the projected price?

I have the Magnetospeed V2. Although I don't use a muzzle brake, the instructions clearly cover how to set up the chrony if your rifle does have one. It's simply a matter of arranging the muzzle position far enough ahead of the V- block and into the blast zone so your blast clears the mounting mechanics.
I like my Magnetospeed very much. Best and easiest to use I've ever had experience with. The only issue I've had with it is that the tension strap that holds the V-block in place at the muzzle is a bit troublesome and sometimes, especially with more powerful rifles, the V-block slips forward and becomes a nuisance. The V-block at the muzzle is held in place with a narrow belt. This tensioning belt is, IMO, awkward to use and getting it tight enough during initial installation so that the mechanism used to take up the final slack secures it sufficiently in the final set up stage doesn't always produce satisfying results.

When you saw it at the shot show did you happen to ask them or find out if it will work downrange. For example set it at 850 yards and shoot past it.

I contacted the manufacturer of the labradar unit about this very question, and was told that this unit only functions when set up next to the muzzle of the rifle. It is not designed to be set up down range, and won't function down range, as constructed.

Well as much as I like to look of the labradar, if it doesn't get a read at range it won't help for half my chronograph needs. Is it broadband radar? It must be, never used any other type that consumed little enough power to be practical. To bad it doesn't work downrange.

Nothing makes me more nervous than a buddy wanting to check his bc with his rifle at my skyscreens, have lost more than a couple pair. So far no base hits.... radar would add a safety factor.

As to the magneto speed, seems to be a neat product but still doesn't help with downrange proofs. At least it looks like someone thinking outside the box from wire skyscreens and mid 90's lcd displays.

(have a couple rifles that make a fireball large enough the magnetospeed would be in the fire)

Anyone try a new IR pact? that might be my only option for downrange checks.

Last edited:
When you saw it at the shot show did you happen to ask them or find out if it will work downrange. For example set it at 850 yards and shoot past it.

I asked this question at SHOT and got the same answer as porwath - no. The reason is that the unit is triggered acoustically from the muzzle blast. The radar has to be near the rifle to trigger.

That's the only concern that I have about this chrony. Does it trigger whenever someone next to you at the range fires their gun?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.