New Camo paint job and upgrades

Howdy 408 ,
That New Paint looks nice , althought I really liked the Digital pattern you had first .

"Recoil is light with the fish gill muzzle brake, can shoot it with one hand."

Question on the amount of Recoil ... Thats another BIG case ... and was wondering how that was handling .... Who's Muzzle Brake are you using ?
I heard you had received a shipment of the New 4 Port.. Ross Schuler Muzzle Brakes ... and wondered if this was one of those , and how they worked .... I have several of his , and find they are Exceptional at reducing felt Recoil.
For $40 they are really hard to improve on ...
thanks
Ray

Recoil is very low with this brake. It is one i built myself, Ernie has shot the pistol so he
can maybe explain it more being he is the pistol expert.

I change camo patterns often on my personal guns, i use them for test subjects before doing
a customer project. I have several new patterns i have done, i might post the pics later in another thread.

Dave

Excellent ,
I for one would like to see the Camo Patterns your Playing with... Are you going to produce your actions in a Left Bolt , dual port ? Sure like the looks of this.... A 7mm or a 30 on the new 338 Norma case would be cool .....
Thanks Ray

Last edited:
Now Ray, don't tempt Dave:)
Dave just hates doing unusual custom rigs:D
Just kidding, of course.
If you know Dave, he likes doing unique weapons of all types.
We had a lot of fun shooting together.

Dave's brake is very effective.
I was able to spot the majority of my own shots through the NF NXS 8-32 when using it this past summer on pd's.

I will prolly just post the pics on my website.

Why not just stay with the Lapua brass?

Dave

OK ...Lapua Brass...LOL .
Dave , I just don't know if I can handle the Recoil of a 408 case . I'm not as Young as some of these Guys ... That are shooting these Big Cases .
I'm playing with 2 338's now .... a 338x300 (Edge) and a 338 x375 Ruger...
These 2 definitely take all the concentration this Old Man can Give . Although I find them Really Controllable , the Mental aspect of the follow threw has given me some anguish .I know there's folks out there that seem to be able to shoot these calibers in 6/8 pound guns , but for me ...12/15 pounds is Much Better .
With the Length of our barrels (18 / 20") .. that SMALLER 338 Norma case ..lol ...might be better for me anyway . Maybe , I guess the thrill of Wildcatting of cases has diminished over the years ...

Ernie..
Never hurts to ask ...I Really like the looks of Daves Rig . And Thanks for the Recoil assessment , Spotting your own shots is always a good indicator .
Hows that 338 of yours doing....? Haven't seen or heard about that , lately .any New Pics ?

thanks
Ray

Last edited:
Haven't shot the AX XP for awhile now. Been tied up with some other things, and will continue to be busy for the next three weeks for sure.

OK ...Lapua Brass...LOL .
Dave , I just don't know if I can handle the Recoil of a 408 case . I'm not as Young as some of these Guys ... That are shooting these Big Cases .
I'm playing with 2 338's now .... a 338x300 (Edge) and a 338 x375 Ruger...
These 2 definitely take all the concentration this Old Man can Give . Although I find them Really Controllable , the Mental aspect of the follow threw has given me some anguish .I know there's folks out there that seem to be able to shoot these calibers in 6/8 pound guns , but for me ...12/15 pounds is Much Better .
With the Length of our barrels (18 / 20") .. that SMALLER 338 Norma case ..lol ...might be better for me anyway . Maybe , I guess the thrill of Wildcatting of cases has diminished over the years ...

Ernie..
Never hurts to ask ...I Really like the looks of Daves Rig . And Thanks for the Recoil assessment , Spotting your own shots is always a good indicator .
Hows that 338 of yours doing....? Haven't seen or heard about that , lately .any New Pics ?

thanks
Ray

Ray,
I shortened the 408 case so it only holds 90 grains of powder, its short and fat! It would be similar in capacity to the Norma case I supose. nothing wrong with wildcatting the Norma case, just thought if a guy was going to all the trouble why not use the best brass available. With my 30BTAC design, i still have not lost one single case in reloading. some of the brass have over 20 firings allready. Just keep the necks annealed is the main thing.

Dave

Dave ...
I sure can understand the Logic in using the Best Brass available for your Project ... And as I said , I really like it .... It turned out Great ..
Although I don't like messing with Major Wildcatting Projects much any more ...I'm glad to see folks still out there that like messing with all this .I can handle simple Ackley type stuff , but what your doing is far more involved than I want to do ..The days of 10 steps to get a case ready to be fireformed is over for me ...lol.
looking forward to the progress on this ...
thanks
Ray

Dave ...
I sure can understand the Logic in using the Best Brass available for your Project ... And as I said , I really like it .... It turned out Great ..
Although I don't like messing with Major Wildcatting Projects much any more ...I'm glad to see folks still out there that like messing with all this .I can handle simple Ackley type stuff , but what your doing is far more involved than I want to do ..The days of 10 steps to get a case ready to be fireformed is over for me ...lol.
looking forward to the progress on this ...
thanks
Ray

Yea Ray, I did this project for me alone, i never intended to put it out to the public. I am however thinking about having the brass custom made in the future. I was thinking about
a light carry rifle with a short action.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.