Contender (not G2) trigger job

nksmfamjp

I have a Contender. I detail stripped and cleaned last night. Not bad.

Current trigger is a pretty crisp 3lb trigger. That is too heavy for some of my shooting. Would like to try 1-2 lbs.

Anybody mess with this much? How light could you get it? Was it still a good feeling trigger? My plan is to clip the coil and add a ball on the spring…..like Bellm describes.

What are you lubing sear and hammer interface with? My G1 trigger is just under 2# and superb with grease. When took it out of the box and cleaned and lubed it almost 30 years ago it would have been Mobil 1 red grease or plain white lithium grease, I am pretty sure that is what I was using back then, and I am 100% sure it was grease that was used. It's probably in the top 2-3 single stage triggers I own for pull quality.

They are great triggers! I'm going to try cutting a coil. I wonder how much to cut?

Well, I clipped some coils down to 2.25 lb. Clipping coils bent the end slightly. So, after some break in, I'm at 1lb 13oz. That seems like a good spot. Feels great. I tried some grease in there.

I kept my original spring that is right at 3 lbs.

I redid sear engagement and over travel. I need to redo those with some locktite.

Feels pretty good!

Heres an option……

I know it may sound hokie if you are a picky sort of feller but it works.

Instead of modifying the factory spring, you can remove it and put it up for safe keeping. Use a Bic lighter spring to replace it with. It is a weaker spring. You can experiment cutting to a length that gives results you want and no fear of messing up completely. You can always buy another lighter lol. It may be long enough for a couple tries anyway.

Works great. Ive used a few. Last one i did i think i used the little "cup" on top and put it back in also. I think ive left it out before as well.
It may be a different diameter(I forget) but it works regardless.
From there just adjust sear engagement and overtravel as desired with the external screws.

I guess I forgot to add. Got the stock spring down to 15oz and it is still reliable. I don't think you can go much lower. I will probably go back to 2.5 for hunting.

Been doing my own trigger jobs in Contender since the 80's A lot don't agree but I use a BIC lighter spring and a GOOD set of Hard honing stones. If you mess up no big deal throw it away and start over. Some of the Sweetest triggers you will ever pull

When it comes to lubricating a Contender I DON"T. Anywhere!! Contenders were designed (According to T/C) to be used DRY

I do wipe the outside down with a VERY light coat for rust & fingerprints
Safe Shooting
Doug