New Barrel. Any suggestions

Jinx

Hello everyone,

I need to re-barrel my Sako 264 Win Mag and need information on which brand. The barrel will be 26 inch and I will use the rifle for walk and stalk hunting, so the weight needs to be manageable. I shoot 140 gr bullets. The barrel we have access to in South Africa are:

• Broughton
  • Pac-Nor
  • Krieger
Which one to you guys recommend?

Regards

Hello everyone,

I need to re-barrel my Sako 264 Win Mag and need information on which brand. The barrel will be 26 inch and I will use the rifle for walk and stalk hunting, so the weight needs to be manageable. I shoot 140 gr bullets. The barrel we have access to in South Africa are:

• Broughton
  • Pac-Nor
  • Krieger
Which one to you guys recommend?

Regards

South Africa sweet, wish you guys would edit your personal options so we know where everyone is at around the world. My personal pick would be the Broughton, in a modified sendero tapper. I would have the shank made longer, I like the looks of that.

I would go with Broughton also. For my 6.5 WSM, I ordered a 5C in what they call a Medium Varmint Sporter contour which has a .750 muzzle - no flutes. That would be a step lighter than the typical Sendero or what they call their Heavy Varmint Sporter.

I have & have had great luck with Kreiger 6-284 (I don't own a Broughton & cannot comment). My personal preference would be a #6 or #7 coutour (4.5-5.5lbs) then flute it. A little wieght on the end has alway been my preference & the added weight will help mitigate recoil.

t

I just received my .308 31" 9 twist Broughton 5C today. I ordered it in mid April and Tim told me it would most likely be mid August before it would be done. Not sure what happened but I am very pleased with Broughton's service and turnaround. I know that when I checked on a Krieger they were around 8 months out.

I just received my .308 31" 9 twist Broughton 5C today. I ordered it in mid April and Tim told me it would most likely be mid August before it would be done. Not sure what happened but I am very pleased with Broughton's service and turnaround. I know that when I checked on a Krieger they were around 8 months out.

Tim is a great guy and he will usually get my business. You may have gotten it early because they did a run on that particular barrel type and twist prior to his original estimate. 2 of the barrels I got from him were almost a month early. One was a month late but I can live with that.

Sinclair International and Brunos each have a selection of barrels for immediate purchase. Sinclair will ship internationally, not sure about Brunos. Either Broughton or Kreiger would be my choices.

I ordered a Krieger barrel on Feb 20th. They gave me an estimated ship date of Nov 20th. I received the barrel yesterday.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.