Any suggestions for a light-kicking rifle?

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm leaning towards either a .243 Winchester, .25/06, or .25 WSSM.

I bought my 12 yr old daughter a nice, light Savage in a 7mm-08. I had the stock shortened to fit her, Pachmeyer Decellerator pad and a muzzle brake installed, and she shoots mild 140 gr handloads loads. She usually shoots as good as the rifle does, 1.5 moa, and has killed 3 elk and 2 deer with it so far. It doesn't hurt or scare her to shoot it, so she can shoot it well.

243 or 6br if you want to shoot them in the eye
wink.gif

100gn bullet at 3000fps does just fine
wink.gif

JB

The .25 WSSM is an interesting idea, sort of want one myself, but I'm not sure it's right for what you're doing. I've shot a lot of deer with various .25s and I think they're a little marginal. I lost one I'd shot square through the ribs with a 120 grain partition from a .25-'06. I found the rib cage a couple days later stripped by varmints and birds, I could see a rib nicked on the entry side and reconstruct the exit based on some missing pieces on the other side. The hole was where I wanted it.

The idea of using a light recoiling gun for women and kids is ok but not if you have to give up terminal effectiveness to do it. I think you'd be way better off looking at a 7mm-08 or 7x57 in a standard sporter weight rifle. I've thumped a handful of deer with the 7mm-08 and it does so with authority. Not a lot of muzzle blast, not a lot of recoil, but serious effectiveness. My last one was a stainless model seven. It was just light enough to tap me a little.

Anyways, think you'd be better off looking at anything from .260 to .308 with 7mm-08 being the best of the bunch.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts