New APS XP-100 arrive yesterday!!

Dan B

After tackiling the delivery driver as he exited his truck...I hastly whacked open the packaging to reveal my new baby!! I think she will be named......"Little Monster".

The skinny on Little Monster is not so skinny...it has had:
-action completely accurized (threads recut, action squared, bolt squared, etc, etc.)
-Sako extractor
-Holland Comp recoil lug machined to fit the XP-100
-17" Lilja barrel
-Chambered in 7mm/270 WSM (Norma brass)
-Defensive Edge Muzzle Brake
-Matte finish on barrel and brake
-HS Stock
-and Glass bedded.

All the work was completed by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting in Fort Shaw, MT.

APS%20XP-100-1.JPG

I had range loads ready and the car packed, so after assembling the base/rings and scope (Burris 3-12x32 BP of coourse!)I headed to the range. Barrel break in for the Lilja was a snap! It honestly took about five rounds (cleaning after each) before I was getting NO copper using Sweets. The first three shot fired while doing break-in was with 168gr SMK's and H4831SC (59gr). The velocity was only 2575fps but I loaded light for break-in. The three shot group was a scant .169" CTC. Needless to say I was thrilled!!

APS%20XP-100-target1.JPG

The rest of the groups were not that tight but under .5" was the norm and I have not even done load work yet!! The groups are fine...I'll just be trying for much more velocity.

Recoil...you may be wondering what something like this feels like going off in your hand. Well...I can seriously compare it to a T/C Contender chambered in 6T/CU. Muzzle rise and felt recoil in the hand in about the same (which is VERY little). You may think..."yeah but that muzzle brake must be wicked loud". Yes...but not nearly as bad as my Holland's on other guns and the DE brake works MUCH better.

For now that is the story. I'll be hitting the range every day this week to get a load ready for its first field test on Sunday and Monday. I have a friend w/ 30...yes thirty!!!...crop damage deer tags that need filled!

Looks good, Kirby does a hell of a job

I bet you will have a lot of fun with that rig and those 30 damage tags!!!! I am jealous as hell!!!

Take it easy
steve

Looks beautiful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Glad to see "Little Monster" finally made it's way home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Wish you could hunt with Steve and I this year for elk. All three of us with APS XP's!!!

As much as I like my Holland Quick Discharge brake on my 7mm Dakota, it would be neat to compare the Defensive Edge on it (2 brakes fitted for the same gun), to see which one works the best on my rig.

30 tags...Wow!
Are you planning to use the 162 A-Max or are you going to use the 200WC's?
I didn't know you had a Holland on a SP.

Looks like she is behaving well for you already!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Did not expect anything but. While I do not claim to build handguns to shoot into the 0.1"s, we will take them when we get them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!!

Remember to post all the details of your first range test. Sounds like you may get more data then most of us get in 10 seasons!!!

Happy hunting with your new monster, glad your happy. If you have any questions you know where to reach me!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Awesome looking/shooting piece of work you got yourself there. I would be about as thrilled as you are to be field testing it like your going to. There is a lot that can be done on paper, but nothing compares to actual field use and data.

Good luck and have a great time with your new rig.

Had the XP out again this evening with heavier doses of H4831SC and 162gr A-Max's. Got the velocity up to 2825fps comfortably at 63gr. With 64gr I had one shot go 2844 (bolt lift was getting heavy) and two went into the 2850's (bolt lift was again heavy but there was also an ejector mark on each case). So this was my stopping point.

I loaded a batch when I got home at 63.5gr and will reshoot tomorrow. Groups were in the .5MOA range at 100yds with each load tested this evening. Tomorrow, after a three shot'er at 100yds I'll start stretching it out to get some preliminary drop figures. Friday will be the first good LR test (at least to 500-600yds anyhow). I have 25 milk jugs waiting to get relieved of there water retaining ability!

SWEET looking rig, and what a performer Dan. Looks kinda like mine (mine's a Pac-Nor tho). I was having some real problems with the stock on mine as it's 1 of the older HS's, and couldn't handle the torque especially with the bipod on it, but that's been taken care of recently, and it's shooting great now (had to fix it twice). One of the problems i was having was parallax, and once i figured it out i shot a .75" gp. with the same load that was shooting 2", and went hunting. Watch your parallax with that scope. Mine gave me problems. Make sure you recalibrate the parallax before shooting at the longer ranges. I was getting great success with my rig out to around 750 yds. which was where i stopped with the A-Max.

Tell u what-- a writeup on that rig for Handgun Hunter sure would be neat to read about (hint, hint). Would blow the doors off ANYTHING that's ever been written about handguns so far.

[ QUOTE ]
I was having some real problems with the stock on mine as it's 1 of the older HS's, and couldn't handle the torque especially with the bipod on it, but that's been taken care of recently, and it's shooting great now (had to fix it twice).

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?!?! My stock is one of the early HS's also! What was the problem you were having?? I anticipated bipod/mounting stud problems and sort of fixed that before a problem could exist...by installing a piece of 1/4" aluminim plate on the bottom of the stock then epoxied and screwed it to the stock and mounted the sling stud through the plate. If you look at the gun pic at the top of the first post (specifically the bipod mounting point), you'll see the forearm looks kinda funny. Well...this is why! But what were your problems???

Amazing-- that is exactly what was done to mine-- BUT it was after the fact. It had already developed a hairline fracture right thru the stud-- BUT i did not have any problems until i started shooting the 200 Wildcat. Could be the 200 (and 7 twist) gave enuf addtl. torque to cause the problem that didn't develop until after i started shooting that bullet.

Dan, have u run your figures across a ballistic sprogram to get downrange stadia zeros? I just did, and u're not gonna believe how well they fit the reticle-- with a 250 zero @ 2825mv, 1000 ft elevation, 45*, Exbal calc'd 306, 406, 498, and 600 yds. WOW!! Should be 1 great system!

I know it will be awesome huting, but I also look forward to hearing your report when you take on some rifles at the comps you were doing earlier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You have an option now to really do well in the wind.

Steve...I have a story better than that. I got a NEW HS stock (arrived nearly two months after the stated completion date)...inletted it for the XP handle and safety then sent it back for paint. It was promptly returned. When I opened the box, the grip sling stud looked loose so I went to snug it (by finger) and it fell out...the hole was completely stripped out. I called and they said send it back. But I finishedassembly of the gun (.222 Rem Mag Imp) to make sure everything else was ok. I attached the bipod and snugged the screw (again by finger) and the forearm cracked the same way you describe!! I sent it back about four weeks ago and still do not have it back. Good thing I snagged the early HS stock for the APS gun or I'd be up a creek!

Ernie...yes!! I can not wait. I was smoking those rifle toters in the 100 relays and still hanging with them in the 300yd relays...all the while shooting a .222 Remmy and .222 Rem Mag Imp handguns! At 500yds they were kicking my arse though...doubt that will be a problem now!

Interesting story Dan-- i can't believe how soft those HS's are. Pretty insightful u put the reinforcement in the forend, before the fact. Nice rig u got there sir. Sure be nice if u could come out with us and hunt elk. 3 APS handguns--WOW!!! U know there's probably still some addtl. cow permits avaailable.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.