New alpha level scope choice

Toydy

I am about to receive my 28 nosler back from the smith in the next week or so.
It is a 28 Nosler, 28 inch proof 8.24 twist in an xlr evolution chasis, sako trg-s action.
Will be used fro deer and Elk sized game at a mx of 800 yards.
I think I want to buy a one time best scope of my life (buy once, cry once) in a 3-18 ish.
My mind is saying Kahles 3-18, Swarovski Z6i 3-18, Zeiss victory V8 2.8 -20.
Could I please have some thoughts from you guys in regards to this?

Let's throw a wrench in your plans and add a couple more top tier optics for your consideration. For an 800 yard max rifle, any of these are plenty.

S&B PMII 3-20×50 (either US or non-US)
Tangent Theta TT315P or TT315M 3-15×50
March F 3-24×52 (but you don't really need the lightweight of the March)
Minox ZP5 3-15×50
Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18×50
Steiner M5Xi 3-15×50

I had a look through a Zeiss V6 3-18 yesterday. The glass was very impressive, lots of elevation aswell.
My question now is, is it the same glass as their top tier glass just at 6 times?

I have the Zeiss V6 3-18 and I like it a lot. That said, my new rifle has a Kahles K525 coming on it. I almost went K318 but changed last minute. I have looked through the X5 and liked it a lot as well and would be a solid choice. ATACR 4-16 is very nice as well and I might pick one up.

Do want first or second focal plane? That could narrow the field some.

I am about to receive my 28 nosler back from the smith in the next week or so.
It is a 28 Nosler, 28 inch proof 8.24 twist in an xlr evolution chasis, sako trg-s action.
Will be used fro deer and Elk sized game at a mx of 800 yards.
I think I want to buy a one time best scope of my life (buy once, cry once) in a 3-18 ish.
My mind is saying Kahles 3-18, Swarovski Z6i 3-18, Zeiss victory V8 2.8 -20.
Could I please have some thoughts from you guys in regards to this?

The V8 would be my dream hunting optic.

I have the Zeiss V6 3-18 and I like it a lot. That said, my new rifle has a Kahles K525 coming on it. I almost went K318 but changed last minute. I have looked through the X5 and liked it a lot as well and would be a solid choice. ATACR 4-16 is very nice as well and I might pick one up.

Do want first or second focal plane? That could narrow the field some.
I have not had any experience with ffp so I was thinking second

Looking for a scope for my new 28 Nosler too!! Thinking of checking out Nightforce's new NX8 2.5-20x50 with a MOA reticle. It weighs in at 28oz.

If going second focal, the Kahles will be out as it's first only. Anything Zeiss V6 or up will be good. I haven't looked at a V8 so I can't comment on it. I know what the V6 is capable of. Swaro X5 is great if you want to dial.

Do you have a preference for MOA or Mils? If Mils, the V6 and X5 are MOA. Not sure on the V8 off the top of my head.

Zeiss V6 3-18 is pretty spot on, I've looked through several and own 3 of the 5-30's. Love em every bit as my NF ATACRs. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of em though. Good luck!

Lots of good offered up choices.... based on personal experience I'd pick the Kahles from your list. The controls are really good. For right handed guys the left/right adjustment knob on the left side of the scope? Genius! Infinite Variable intensity illumination on the reticle? Pretty nice. I've had low light opportunities wash out with too bright. Sometimes I want more illumination in high sunlight looking into dark.

It's not new and sexy, but I would absolutely buy a nightforce nsx over and over again.... ffp, sfp is a personal choice, I have both and like both for different applications.... I've seen better glass than the nsx but it's pretty subjective. dang, DANG, I really like the simplicity of running my nsx under pressure. Strong clicks that are accurate through out the range. The whole objective turns to change power.... sounds like a little thing, but every time it gets dark and cold I get it in a big way.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.