New 7mm Wildcat....7mm Rogue

Wow. What a thread hijack!
Travis,
Your cartridge sounds great. What are your expectations with the new 195 Berger?

Wow. What a thread hijack!
Travis,
Your cartridge sounds great. What are your expectations with the new 195 Berger?

GUILTY as charged! Sorry about that Travis. Sometimes we do forget what the original thread was all about......Rich

How about an update Travis. After looking at all the options, and knowing what he 7mm-300 win has shown me, I am still very much a believer in the 7mm-300 win and the 7mm Rogue for what I do with a 7mm.

Jeff

I did some case forming today and checked some capacities while I was at it. This is for those who are curious about capacities. Here are the results:
I started with an unfired 375 Ruger case which measured 98.7 grains to the top and 84.9 to the base of the neck. I then necked it down to the 30/375 SI case and measured before fire forming. This now only takes TWO quick steps. One stroke each from a .338 RCM and one from the 30/375 SI custom. It was 94.3 grains full and 88.7 to base of neck. Next I fire formed the case with 17 grains of Blue dot and cream of wheat and it measured 96.3 grains full and 89.5 to base of neck. Below are pics of process.......Rich
View attachment 11622

View attachment 11623

Just curious how you gained case capacity by nearly 4 grains just by necking down the case to 30 cal??? Must have been just case to case variation unless you measured the same 375 case before and after necking down. Still does not make sense that it would gain 4 grains capacity??

Also, another tip, switch from Blue Dot to Green Dot powder. When I was starting to form cases for my customers I was using Unique which is a bit faster burning them even Blue Dot. I was forming thousands of rounds a year for customer and started to think "I am wasting powder and MONEY!"

So I switched to Green Dot, used roughly 1/2 the powder to form each case and my forming powder went twice as far. For example, when forming my Lapua based wildcats, I use 13-14 grains of green dot and when forming my 408 Chey Tac based rounds I am using 21-22 grains.

I would suspect that with your wildcat you could get by with around 10 grains of Green dot to get a good form. Now your only saving 7 grains of powder but over time, that builds up into more money in your pocket.

Ya, we do need to get back on topic, sorry Travis!!!

No worries guys, all good info. Rifle is still working well. Have shot it out to a mile now with the forming loads and I am pretty happy with the consistency. Been out trying to find a bear now to get a little blood on it! Going to do a little work with the 180 hybrids soon to see how they do.

No worries guys, all good info. Rifle is still working well. Have shot it out to a mile now with the forming loads and I am pretty happy with the consistency. Been out trying to find a bear now to get a little blood on it! Going to do a little work with the 180 hybrids soon to see how they do.

Boy, I know what you mean Travis. I've been itching to bloody up the hillside at some distance but have busy working that I haven't hd time. At least I'm earning some $$$$$$ to pay for this thing!:D

Kirby....your point about the capacity has me wondering? That does sound a bit off although I remember when I measured it, I was somewhat surprised and I THINK I double checked it. I think at the time I concluded that the huge 375 neck was responsible for that much difference? I don't have any more 375 cases that are not sized or I would check it. Maybe if someone else has one, they could check it out. I do remember that I gained a couple more grains when I fire formed the sized down case in my chamber......rich

Boy, I know what you mean Travis. I've been itching to bloody up the hillside at some distance but have busy working that I haven't hd time. At least I'm earning some $$$$$$ to pay for this thing!:D

Kirby....your point about the capacity has me wondering? That does sound a bit off although I remember when I measured it, I was somewhat surprised and I THINK I double checked it. I think at the time I concluded that the huge 375 neck was responsible for that much difference? I don't have any more 375 cases that are not sized or I would check it. Maybe if someone else has one, they could check it out. I do remember that I gained a couple more grains when I fire formed the sized down case in my chamber......rich

makes perfect sense that you gain capacity when you fireform. It may have been that when you measured the 375 case filled to the base of the case neck, you had the level a bit off but you were right on when you measured it necked down. Don't know, just seemed off to me. The important thing is the case capacity of your finished case design.

If you maintain the shoulder angle, and measuring case capacity to the base of the neck, you should gain a slight increase in capacity because you increase the length of the shoulder and position the shoulder/neck junction farther up on the case but a 4 grain increase is quite a bit on a case of this capacity.

Again, only thing that matter is the end capacity!!!

I quit guessing how much H1000 it holds to the base of the neck and measured a couple just now. It averages 87.5 grains for two rounds.....Rich

If you want to use a powder to check case capacity, use something like H-110, H335 or BL-C2. All are very fine ball powders that flow and settle evenly.

Stick powders are very inconsistant as far as their volume displacement. For example, if you pour one 87 grain powder charge of stick powder faster then a second 87 grain powder charge, the two will displace very different volumes.

The fine ball powders however are much more consistant for throw to throw and they are ALOT easier to use then water!!!

If you want to use a powder to check case capacity, use something like H-110, H335 or BL-C2. All are very fine ball powders that flow and settle evenly.

Stick powders are very inconsistant as far as their volume displacement. For example, if you pour one 87 grain powder charge of stick powder faster then a second 87 grain powder charge, the two will displace very different volumes.

The fine ball powders however are much more consistant for throw to throw and they are ALOT easier to use then water!!!

Agree! When I measure the stick powders, I always tap a few times to settle out the air space. This helps quite a bit but they will never settle as evenly as ball powders......Rich

Travis,
Hope you get to "bloody" your rifle in Montana this week. You won't be disappointed by the Berger 180 Hybrids.
As I talked to you about the rifle you built me has been used on 10 elk kills this year. Yardages from 300 to 600 yards. The Hybrids performed impressivly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.