New 7mm Wildcat....7mm Rogue

Midnight, You're the man!:D I'm always envious of people who are not computer dummies like me!....Rich

Yea rich but Im just not cool like you! haha! I think I "forum stalk" you for all your good info. Im tempted to send you a piece of my 7LRM brass to see what you think and if it can be fireformed in your rifle with your reamer specs.

I just got home and Im in my MBA degree so my nights are filled but I will try to get a water capacity in grains tomorrow. I might even fill one with retumbo to the bottom of the neck to see how much will loosely pack in the case. I will let everyone know and try to find time to compile all the data. thanks again guys.

Send away! I'll check it out.......Rich

Midnight.....I have no doubt that the LRM would fireform in my chamber since it is dimensionally smaller in every area except the case head. It would probably require sizing up to .338" and then back to .308" leaving a false shoulder on the neck to create proper headspacing.......Rich

I did some case forming today and checked some capacities while I was at it. This is for those who are curious about capacities. Here are the results:
I started with an unfired 375 Ruger case which measured 98.7 grains to the top and 84.9 to the base of the neck. I then necked it down to the 30/375 SI case and measured before fire forming. This now only takes TWO quick steps. One stroke each from a .338 RCM and one from the 30/375 SI custom. It was 94.3 grains full and 88.7 to base of neck. Next I fire formed the case with 17 grains of Blue dot and cream of wheat and it measured 96.3 grains full and 89.5 to base of neck. Below are pics of process.......Rich
DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

Thanks Midnight. VERY nice! The only thing that I see wrong with it is, it is WRONG handed:D......Rich

left handers are the only ones in their right mind! hehe

I think I did the water capacity wrong. I need to do it again without being in such a big hurry.

Rich what do you think this cartridge will hold in terms of H1000 and retumbo with a 180vld?

left handers are the only ones in their right mind! hehe

I think I did the water capacity wrong. I need to do it again without being in such a big hurry.

Rich what do you think this cartridge will hold in terms of H1000 and retumbo with a 180vld?

Well, that depnds on what you end up with to the base of the neck and how your rifle is throated? You thought you might have measured incorrectly, and I would tend to agree. It seems like the capacity of 81+ is low to me? My case, which holds over 89 grains H20 to the base of the neck and will hold about 84 grains H1000 before it starts to compress. That is with a 218 SXR seated with the boat tail/body jct. even with the base of the neck. That puts the boat tail part into the shoulder area of the case. You should be able to get a fair comparison from there depending on your capacity......Rich

Well, that depnds on what you end up with to the base of the neck and how your rifle is throated? You thought you might have measured incorrectly, and I would tend to agree. It seems like the capacity of 81+ is low to me? My case, which holds over 89 grains H20 to the base of the neck and will hold about 84 grains H1000 before it starts to compress. That is with a 218 SXR seated with the boat tail/body jct. even with the base of the neck. That puts the boat tail part into the shoulder area of the case. You should be able to get a fair comparison from there depending on your capacity......Rich

ok ok so i didnt do it as well as I should have. here are some corrected numbers:

Water Capacity:
88.1 Gr to the top of the neck
82.6 gr to the neck/shoulder junction

uncompressed H1000 to the neck shoulder junction=80.4 gr
uncompressed Retumbo to the neck shoulder junction=76.4 gr

Rich if you look at the page I posted with my build there is a case drawing of the cartridge in a pdf that you can reference. your 30/375 S.I. is longer, has less body taper and a 40* shoulder. but it looks like your only holding about 4 grains more powder in H1000.

ok ok so i didnt do it as well as I should have. here are some corrected numbers:

Water Capacity:
88.1 Gr to the top of the neck
82.6 gr to the neck/shoulder junction

uncompressed H1000 to the neck shoulder junction=80.4 gr
uncompressed Retumbo to the neck shoulder junction=76.4 gr

Rich if you look at the page I posted with my build there is a case drawing of the cartridge in a pdf that you can reference. your 30/375 S.I. is longer, has less body taper and a 40* shoulder. but it looks like your only holding about 4 grains more powder in H1000.

I may have misquoted the H1000 capacity. I know it will hold around 85 grains of Retumbo so the H1000 is probably closer to that? I will check it when I get a chance......rich

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.