new 7mag, want it to be a 400 yarder +

firstcoueswas80

hello. before i ask a question, let me introduce myself. i am new to this site and thought i would ask yall a question. my name is Casey, i live in AZ. i primarily hunt coues deer with elk and javelina mixed in. i am 20 years old and have been hunting and shooting as long as i can remember. i just got into reloading for my self about 8 montsh ago, have produced some awesome loads for my rifles and am looking for one more! i have a 270, and 270wsm, my WSM is my new primary coues gun as it is a custom Bettin rifle, topped with a B&C leupold. this gun shoots .3 groups with hand loaded with 140 NAB regualary. i recently came across a beautiful 7mag that i could not pass up. i really like this caliber my dad has a 7RUM. the gun is a remington 700 with a zeiss 3-9x50 scope on it. i have a elk gun ( 30-06 with 180 fusion) a flat coues gun ( above noted WSM) what i am looking for out of this gun is to be an absolute tack driver for coyotes, deer pigs elk what ever. i know i want to load super light bullets, around 120 grain. what i am asking is what load should i look for to make it a fast flat whopper? laying around the house i have some 120 TSX, 140 accubonds, 140 sierra game kings and 140 ballistic tips. i am 99% sure i am going to order some 120 ballistic tips and see which shoot better, them or the tsx. for powders i have R22( never used but heard awesome things about) h4831sc( my other rifle LOVE this) and h4350. the primers will start out with federal 215m. with what i have, what would you suggest for accuracy and SPEED? thanks!
Casey

Welcome

There are a lot of good 7mm bullets. The choice of a bullet is somewhat determined by what is important to you. If you want an exit hole or if you want minimum meat damage or if you want bang flop.

For elk I would use something like the 160 Nosler Accubond or partition. Either one would work fine at 0-400yds. The partition might be easier to laod being in the WSM being as the AB is a very longbullet. For deer you could drop down to the 140 class of bullets or shoot the 160s.

I don't shoot coyotes so don't know what to tell you there, but the 115/120 class of bullets are basically varmint styles that expand violently on contact. They are good for groundhogs and crows and would surely kill a coyote. They will not penetrate through much bone and the faster you try to drive them the faster they blow up.

First of all, welcome to LRH. Stick around here and you'll learn from some of the best long range gurus around, and a few hacks like myself.

Second of all, I think your going the wrong way on the bullet for your 7mm. If you really want a long range hammer take a serious look at the 162 gr Hornady Amax. You should be able to stabalize it (assuming you have a 9 twist), the ballistic coeffecient is MUCH, MUCH higher than the little 120 gr and it is very thin jacketed and thus very explosive.

I know you stated you want speed, but speed is not the name of the game when it comes to longrange shooting. I was once going down the same path, then I found this board. I went from shooting a 125 gr BT in my 300 RUM a year and a half ago to a 240 SMK today. There is no comparison in the two when it comes to 500+ yd shooting.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

i understand that the heavier bullets hit harder than the light bullets. the deer i have out here dont way but 120- MAYBE 140 on the hoof. they dont take much to kill, i shot my first one at 400 with my 30-06 and 125 Ballistic tips. the hold over is far less with the lighter bullets than the heavier ones. however, i will strongly look at the 140 accubond as all of my rifles shoot them well and had good performance on a white tail this year. i raelly dont know what i am going to do with this rifle as i already have an awesome deer rifle/caliber set up but if i can get better velocity and accuracy, it will get the nod.
thanks!

ok, i dont know how to figure this out but lets say out of my 7mag, if i load 140 NAB, 160 NAB 150 ballistic tip and a 175 gameking, at there respectable velocites, what would the drop be with a 300 yard zero out to 1000, and wind drift with a 10 MPH wind? some one please compare these to the 120 TSX and the 120 ballistic tip i have talked about eariler. i would do this but i dont have the software to. thanks!
Casey

firstcoueswas80:

Initially I thought that you were looking for something to use at relatively short ranges and possibyly use "hold over" because you mentioned that term. Then I see you are talking out to 1000 yards so that changes things a lot. As a general rule you will find that in a given cartridge, lighter faster bullets will shoot flatter to somewhere around 500-600 yards give or take a little. Generally from there on out the heavier, higher BC bullet will quickly pass the lighter bullet and you will find that at longer ranges the heavier for caliber bullet, with a much higher BC, is going to get to 1000 yards faster, flatter and do it with much less regard to wind.

You mentioned 7mag so I guess you are talking about the 7mm Rem. Mag. This round with proper loads and bullets will easily get you to 1000 yards.

If you look "at this link you will find some free software that will help you".

Just remember that at longer ranges your hold over routine will not work but you will find a whole new world that will be amazing. The country beyond point blank range is fascinating.

Remember that drop is very easy to figure and account for. The wind, at longer ranges, is what will give you fits most of the time. That is where the heavy for caliber, high BC bullets shine. They buck the wind, drift less, retain more energy and shoot flatter at extended ranges and thus, normally give you better groups at extended ranges. There are exceptions to every rule but I will take a heavy for caliber, high BC bullet for extended range shooting any day over a fast light weight bullet.

In your comparison of the 120 grain bullets to possibly the 175 grainers you will find that if you are talking extended ranges to 1000 or beyond that the light weights will blow around like whiffle balls and drop like rocks, hitting like the lightweights they are. The heavier bullet, launched via a proper load, from the same gun, will kick butt when compared to the pipsqueak 120 grain pills.

thanks for the reply. i did mention out to 1,000 just to see what it would look like. i will not shoot this gun past 500 as that is even a stretch for ne. i am comfortable with shots450 and under as i have made those shots with my 22-250 and i have made it on one coues.

Listen to Bill Bailey, he is exactly right!! I too was once going down the "speed" road, but since have learned that the heavier bullets do "all" things better. The 162 A-Max is a great Couse bullet. I have taken a Couse buck every year for at least 12 years. Check and you will find that the trajectory between the two is vitually the same. (140vs162) M.H.

I would look at the 140 Ballsitic Tip, 140 Accubond or 139 SST. They will still shoot flat like you want but the wind drift and down range punch will be a lot better. Another thing you have to remember is that after 400 yards in most cases the 140 will actually be going faster then the 120 because it holds its velocity and energy better because of the higher bc. If you want to go heavier then 140 I would look at the 162 A-max that has been already mentioned or the 160 Accubond or 162 SST. My dad has been using SST's out of his 7mm STW the last couple of years on whitetails with great results.

thanks for the replys. i will look into those bullets but for right now, because i am a college kid i am going to try what i have. i have 140 accubonds, the 120 tsx and 140 game kings. my main concern is accuracy. i undestand what you guys say and i may look extremly hard at the 140 accubond as i have had good luck with accuracy and performanc out of my 270wsm and 7RUM. i think the 120 tsx might be my coyote round. and theses AMAX>>> what are these i have never even heard of them!
Casey

The 140 Ab's will work well. I have used them on deer the last two season's out of my 7mm STW and they work great. The A-Max is made by Hornady and is a VLD type target bullet with a plastic tip like a accubond. They pretty much act like a Ballistic Tip on game from what I have heard. I have never used them but a lot of guys on here have so I am sure someone will post their experience with them. You can see a picture of them with the link below. As for powders you might want to give H-4831 a try it seems to work well in the 7mm's. R-22 is another good one but I have found it to very a lot from lot to lot and it is pretty temp sensitive. You can go to www.hornady.com and check out there data on the 162 A-max.

punched the numbers in pointblank today on a buddies computer. we got the velocites from nosler fifth edition:
140 accubond MV:3340 (seems high) BC:.485 with a 250 yard zero, drops a total of 145.58 inches. with a 10 mphs wind, drifts a total of 40.27 ( out to 800)
160MV:3050 BC:.531 drops a total of 170.21 drifts 40.92. energy between the two is with in 20 ftlbs. looks like the 140 accubond!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.