new 6.5-284 on way need advice for deer hunting

found the load now only to test on live game

Being that it's the end of the season, seeing deer this time of year around here is like finding hens teeth. You guys load suggestions were spot on. I found that with 140 grain SMK seated .004 off the lands with 47 grains of RE22 will pretty much shoot the same freaking hole! I was able to stretch out a little the other day and was able to group 1.5 inches at 400 in 10-15 MPH wind. This rig will certainly out shoot the guy driving it. The accuracy of this thing is insane. COOPER ROCKS! My bench guns cost 3 times as much.....should have bought this to start with! Cooper where have you been all my life? I just wanted to thank you guys for all the input. Now if only I can try it on live game!

6.5-284 Help/solution.....working loads

I have the same rifle and it killed some deer very cleanly out to 620 yards with both Sierra Matchkings (142) and 140 AMAX. I also used 4350 and also 4831 short cut. One deer went twentyfive yards, the other three were dead in their tracks. The Phoenix is a fine rifle, I get sub 1/2" groups if I am up to shooting well enough. Consistent sub 1" but it will do better if I have my skills tuned up. Put a good scope on it and don't worry about bullet performance, those long bullets will kill deer.

Can you share your loads that you use? I am loading the SMK 142 w/ 4831SC ( 51grs only getting 2750fps) Looking to get more fps and keep the tight groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.