Nevada 71-79 Mule Deer Late Tag

tfountain

Has anyone out there hunted this series of units during the oct20-nov5 late season? I've backpacked the jarbridge and climbed alot at city of rocks and castle rock in southern Idaho so am a bit familiar with the country. Just have never hunted there because it has been impossible to draw a tag until now. I plan to head there in August for on the ground recon after the commercial fishing season is over. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Regards,

T Fountain

I had that that tag probably 14-15 years ago. I also scouted in August and found some nice bachelor groups up high. Came back the day before the opener and woke up to fog and 8" of fresh snow. Must have really dumped up high as it started a migration. Passed on dozens of bucks and ended up missing the biggest buck of my life. Ended up eating my tag. I don't know what it's like now.But I now with the drought over the last few years has put the hurt on a lot of Nevada. I'm sure if you put in your time you should be able to come up with a nice buck. I'd love to do that hunt again. Best of luck !

Its been so long I'd have to look at my maps but areas that come to mind are Canyon creek, Camp creek, Copper mountain . Canyon creek area
was were we spent most of the time . But I really liked Camp creek area and passed on a buck opening day I should have taken.

Congratulations on drawing such a coveted tag, I'm thinking that there's gotta be a few Nevada hunters on here.
Thanks sockeye. If you aren't committed on a tag in Montana, you are sure welcome to join up with me in Nevada...it would be a great time to look for a toad! I've talked to the region bio and game enforcement...they were helpful.

Like it seems everywhere, elevation is the key to finding the bucks. I hunted elk there last year and saw quite a few does fawns and smaller bucks below 5000 ft elev. They seemed to congregate near the lower elevations where pastures provided food before the winter. The bluffs above these food havens should hold nice bucks and I believe they come down and feed during the night and return to their perches before daylight. Many of these areas are not accessible due to private lands, but if you have horses, it should make it a lot easier.

Thanks for the info. What area and time of year were you hunting elk?
it was an october cow hunt. We were just below the Jarbridge wilderness area and had to use on x to keep from tresspassing on private land. The area 6 road and bluffs above it looked like prime muley habitat to me. Again, there are many areas of private land here, even as you go further in. It seemed all valley roads were bordered by private lands and cattle herds. On x did show some walk in access points to public lands tho.

it was an october cow hunt. We were just below the Jarbridge wilderness area and had to use on x to keep from tresspassing on private land. The area 6 road and bluffs above it looked like prime muley habitat to me. Again, there are many areas of private land here, even as you go further in. It seemed all valley roads were bordered by private lands and cattle herds. On x did show some walk in access points to public lands tho.
Perfect. Thanks. Onx is a pretty sweet resource. Glad to know the cell works on the fringes of the jarbridge.

Perfect. Thanks. Onx is a pretty sweet resource. Glad to know the cell works on the fringes of the jarbridge.
you won't have cell service, but by loading selected parcels of where you want to hunt on your phone or i pad, you have access to most of the information you need.

Has anyone out there hunted this series of units during the oct20-nov5 late season? I've backpacked the jarbridge and climbed alot at city of rocks and castle rock in southern Idaho so am a bit familiar with the country. Just have never hunted there because it has been impossible to draw a tag until now. I plan to head there in August for on the ground recon after the commercial fishing season is over. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Regards,

T Fountain
Rub it in Sir! 😉 I have been trying to get that tag for several years now (I'm still trying) I use to Buckaroo for CE Bracket Cattle below pole creek there. I've seen some great bucks in that country. Good luck and post some pictures of your deer when you get it please.

Rub it in Sir! 😉 I have been trying to get that tag for several years now (I'm still trying) I use to Buckaroo for CE Bracket Cattle below pole creek there. I've seen some great bucks in that country. Good luck and post some pictures of your deer when you get it please.
Thanks for the reply. Ive been applying 11 years and finally got lucky. Have looked at pole creek via google earth and onx. Cool country. What are your thoughts about the resident deer population in that area? Were the good bucks you saw during the migration? Ive heard mature bucks are pretty few and far between with the bad winters 3&4 years ago.....but im happy to be patient, hunt hard and eat a tag the right buck doesn't materialize. I'm a U of I Agggie 1995 ....go Vandals!!

Thanks for the reply. Ive been applying 11 years and finally got lucky. Have looked at pole creek via google earth and onx. Cool country. What are your thoughts about the resident deer population in that area? Were the good bucks you saw during the migration? Ive heard mature bucks are pretty few and far between with the bad winters 3&4 years ago.....but im happy to be patient, hunt hard and eat a tag the right buck doesn't materialize. I'm a U of I Agggie 1995 ....go Vandals!!
I often found smoker bucks out in the brush. Everybody went high into O'Neil basin and the wilderness area and passed up the brushy draws. There is a creek past the pole creek guard station that flows down to the Jarbridge river. It flows through a deep canyon (I want to say it's called Johnson or Robinson hole but I can't remember). I found some really good bucks coming out of that canyon at last light. If you would like I can send you an onX pin. You can go above the Devils Creek Ranch too. That Is good country, but I remember it was a little crowded.

Recent Posts