Mule Deer Rubies Nevada

Hognuts

Not a bad little buck, day before season ended up in the Rubies in Nevada.

360 Yards, 6.5 SAUM suppressed.

My buddy spotted him, we had just got to area and walked maybe 60 yards from the truck on a little two track road. Spotted him and about 8 does over in a draw. My buddy ranged them at 307, I dialed my dope and low crawled out in the sage brush to try and get a firing position from prone where I could see through the sage, on my third stop I found my spot and by then they had crossed over the little finger they were on, through the bottom of the draw and up back side of ridge. I had lost the buck, I could see a few does, but was having trouble finding him. My buddy (who had been watching them with binos) crawled out to me and got me back on him. He was moving down the ridge when I got on him, I had a good stable rest with my rear bag and just waited for him to stop. (360 yards) Put cross hairs right behind shoulder and squeezed one off, loudest noise was the 130 grain Berger hitting meat! He hunched down and ran a few steps down the ridge. I jacked another round in and got back on him, waited for him to stop and sent another, right behind the shoulder, he ran about 15 yards and went down. Great hunt and cudos to my hunting partner for putting me on him and keeping tabs on him while I crawled into position! Great hunt! :D

Both rounds impacted right behind shoulder, point of aim point of impact, first one, he was quartering away from me and it exited through the opposing shoulder and hamburgered it pretty good, second was a broad side shot and exited behind the opposing shoulder through rib cage, left a silver dollar size exit wound. I don't think the second would have been necessary, but I was always taught to keep sending lead until the animal is down!:D

Nice job! Now that's what I call hunting!
Yea, its sometimes a dilemma between damaging more meat to make sure the animal drops and letting the first shot (if well placed) do its thing but risking it getting away/lost. This applies all the way down to squirrels if you eat them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.