NEF Ultra Varminter for beginner shooter?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
I was able to get a Savage axis for $199+tax last year on black Friday and as mentioned some of its competition is in the same price range.
Its amazing how much rifle you can buy today for under $300... A long time ago I had my Garand converted to 308, and had all this 30-06 ammo collecting dust. I bought an Axis camo 30-06 just because it was under $300. Added an M-Carbo trigger kit last year, and its a really neat rifle.

My cousin is in the 9th grade. His dad isnt much of an outdoorsman and asked me to get his son involved in hunting and shooting. He has some firearm and shooting experience with his shotgun and going to the clay range with his grandfather. My cousin is a big dude. He's 6'3" and 220lbs in 9th grade. I am not worried about recoil, weight, or length of pull issues like with typical youth rifles. I made the normal rifle suggestions for a beginner (Ruger American, Rem 700, Base model bergara, base model savages) but his parents are pressed financially. I found the NEF ultra varminter in .223 and .243 they go for about $250. Are these decent rifles? I feel like it would be a good beginner gun for long range shooting since it is a single shot. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am taking him on his first hunting trip december 20th, and hopefully Ill get him hooked.

Also, yes, I made the .22LR suggestions but he wants a "deer" rifle.
Personally I don't have any experience with the single shot NEF's. I seem to remember reading in M.L. McPherson's book on gunsmithing a section that covered accurizing rifle configured with this type of stock. Also I think Ken Waters liked H&R single shot rifles which are similar. At $250 I think they would be pretty close to a used Savage 110. I've seen them at lower as $250-$275.

Update got my cousin a good bolt gun. Marlin XL7 in .243 win. Slapped a SWFA 6x Mil on it that I had laying around.

Here he is with his watchful eye during a deer hunt. To say the least we didn't shoot anything lol.

9E1BAB12-00FE-4898-B08B-2C0BE4BAE642.jpeg

37D32E7A-EF0B-4B71-9C5D-58C061560D1D.jpeg

243 win is a great cartridge! Those Marlins are nice. I gotta look through one of those fixed 6's, heard great things about them. Glad it all worked out.

Great move, on the bolt gun! As for the young man's hunting posture, unless you can convince him that the window of the blind is a screen and everything beyond it is a game, he is in the normal teen hunting stance . My daughter uses the same technique, but she often uses dads shoulder for head support . Wouldn't trade a second of it for a pot of gold nuggets !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.