Best Wind Meter For Beginner

Chavez556

What is the best sub $100 weather meter? I have a chance to pick up a Kestrel 2500 for $80, but didn't know if you guys had any other ideas?

I was told I have to get something that reads DA, but someone else told me you just need the wind reader and something that can give you station pressure... hence the kestrel 2500

Thanks,

Hands down the WeatherFlow meter, can usually find them now for under $80 and the connectivity with various cell phone ballistic solvers makes it a much better value than the Kestrel 2500, IMO... Mine has worked flawlessly over the last year using both GeoBallistics and the Shooter apps.

Hands down the WeatherFlow meter, can usually find them now for under $80 and the connectivity with various cell phone ballistic solvers makes it a much better value than the Kestrel 2500, IMO... Mine has worked flawlessly over the last year using both GeoBallistics and the Shooter apps.
Does it read density altitude?

That's the little blue one right?

You don't need density altitude. It will provide air density, baro pressure (your phone will do this too), wind,
Temp, humidity.

They have a blue one, meant to work with the weather flow app (no ballistics, only displays the values) and the tan "precision shooting" model that is supposed to have different firmware specifically tailored to integrate with ballistic solver apps. The blue one is a few dollard cheaper and I've read it works with most ballistic apps, but their website says they can't guarantee it'll work with all.

I got the "precision shooting" specific model but i believe they both have the same instrumentation and will read out temp, humidity, pressure, wind speed, and DA

I've had great luck with the Precision shooting weatherflow as well. I use the GeoBallistic app and my calls have been pretty spot on out to 1200 yards from 500 ft to 6000 ft in elevation (you obviously need to be able to read the wind between you and the target as well for correct adjustments). It's really small which is nice because it fits in the side pocket of my Bino harness making it very assessable. Definitely a good meter to start out with and it seems very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.