need to know Barrel Twist on ruger m77mk2 .243????

lovdasnow

Does anyone know what the twist is on that gun listed above?
I've looked on their website but no luck.

The reason I wanted to know was that I was wanting to try out the 105gr A-max's, and wasn't sure if my barrel would stabalize those.

Also, does anyone have a good load worked up for their ruger I could work with, before I start my own?

thanks alot, and happy shooting?

Dont know it off hand.If you take a cleaning rod with a patch and just start it into the barrel then make 2 marks on the cleaning rod with a marker by the muzzle and handle and push the rod through until the mark near the handle rotates once.after it does make another mark by the muzzle,pull the rod out and measure distance between 2 marks made.
1-9 twist may be border line for this weight and might require a slightly faster twist.

Almost positive it has a 1-10 twist which is standard in 243 today.

This will not cut it with the 105 gr A-Max bullets.

In the 243 class round, 1-9 would as stated be marginal with the 105 gr A-Max with the 1-8 being the best choice for this velocity range.

Were you shooting a 6-284 with an extra 300 fps then the 1-9 would work well. Sorry, don;t have a 243 currently in my herd of rifles.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

thanks for the timely replies. It looks like I should stick to the 75-90gr v-max's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

thanks again guys...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.