Don't know where to start.

summitsitter

I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 Coyote in a 270WSM. I have never taken a shot over 250 yards. Here in Louisiana where I hunt, we hunt a lot of bean fields and pipelines, where 1000yd shot could be easily be taken. My question is what do I need to do with this rifle to help it accomplish 600-700 yd shots. I am having it bedded on Feb. 5th. What else should be done to this rifle. It is still in the box I haven't fired a shot through it. I really want to get it all set up before I start shooting it. I have a reloader and a ton of reloading manual ordered. I am looking a getting a Leupold VX lll 6.5-20x50, 30 mm tube, or a Leupold VX-L 6.5-20x56 scope to put on it, but please give me your recommendations. My hunting will mainly consist of whitetail deer and coyotes. I'm a blue color middle-class guy how love hunting so cheaper recommendation would be a great help. Thank..

If the gunsmith has your rifle already then you might as well have him adjust the trigger. Have him check the lugs for contact and look at the crown.

The Luepold V3 will be fine for what you want. Make sure it is the Long Range version.

Get either a 20 MOA base or Burris Signature rings with the inserts.

Develop a load that is accurate.

Shoot your drops in to 1000 yards or what ever distance you might be inclined to shoot at an animal. Do not trust computer programs that you have not fed real data into. Haveing real drop data to 500 yards and running on computer projections for a 900 yards shot will lead to problems at lot of times.

Look around and find some long range competition events where you can go and just goof around and have some fun and most importantly get some practice.

Is it neccesery to crown a new gun? Again I don't know anything. What would you recommend on the trigger 2lbs? Is there a cheaper scope that is comparable to the VX III? What type bullet would you guys start with, I need something capable of taking a deer cleanly. I want honest yall honest opinion, is this 270wsm capable of doing what I want.

As far as the scope goes you might want to look at a Weaver Grand slam 6-20X40 . I use them and so do the guys I shoot with ( 8 scopes between us ) and all have been very reliable at less than half the cost of a VXIII.

Mike

A factory gun has a factory crown put there by somebody whose name neither you nor I know. It may be a great crown and it may be a Friday quitting time crown. I did not say to recrown it. The rifle may shoot great. The smith sees crowns every day. If it is burred or badly aligned he may be able to tell just by looking. Looking costs nothing. Recrowning cost maybe $30.00.

If you are the sole shooter of the rifle (no kids) then about 2-2.5 pounds is what I would recommend. Even three would be OK on the trigger pull.

I have not shot a 270 of any variety in 30 years so I have no current knowledge of bullets and their performance.

Buffalo thanks you've been a tremedous help. MKG I really want the 50mm for light gathering purpose. Deer here come out pretty early.

I just thought I'd suggest to break in the barrel as long as it is brand new. get all the copper out and clean it well between each shot for the first 15 or so, then betweeen every other for 20 (others may have better advice on the methodology) this will in essence "Pollish the bore" reducing small burrs left in due to manufacture.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.