Need suggestions/help

I'm a new Reloader and have had great results thus far with 223 Rems and new brass. I'm now going to begin reloading for 3 different 7mm-08's. My son has practiced with Nosler factory 120 gr BT's and has 100 pc of 1x in his Browning X Bolt. The other 2 rifles and both 223's are all Remingtons. I bought the Kleindorst tool as well as the Sinclair Ejector tool to help determine headspace with firing pin and ejector removed. However, the Browning doesn't seem to be as simple as that.

My question, how should I set headspace for this rifle. I have Hornady Headspace comparator And Redding Comp Shell holders.

Thanks
Steve
If I'm understanding this correctly, couldn't this be done by measuring fired (3-4 times) cases, and using a Whidden headspace gauge.
I just purchased one for my 6.5CM and one for my .204, I get a really precise measurement with them,... or like, jimbires said, use the Redding precision graduated shell holders starting @ +.010

Shep,

I do no know what sizing dies do.

In Post 17, the unfired Nosler brass is 1.6215 - 1.6240. All my fired Nosler brass is 1.6230. If I bump the fired brass .002-.003, it will be smaller than the new Nosler brass by .0015. I thought that new brass was small to allow firing in all chambers, so why would I bump the shoulder .0015 smaller than that.

What benefit is 1x or 2x fired brass, if it is sized smaller than unfired brass. Won't I just get case head separation?

Doesn't make sense to me. I'm more confused now than before.

Steve

Ryewsky25284

I stated that I cannot use the competition shell holders and size by feel like Broz does, as I cannot remove the Browning ejector. That is how I'll size on the Remington's. I stated the thread because I cannot do that and am looking for the best way to resize brass without over sizing it.

Thanks
Steve

Well maybe your new brass just barely fits? You might have a minimum headspace chamber? But you only need to know what size your case comes out after firing. This is what you get your setback number from. The length of your new cases means nothing for setting up your die.
The reason I said you may not understand your die is because you've mentioned several time why would you want to size back to new. It won't be new. It will be bigger around and so even if you size the shoulder length back to original your case won't be the same as a new one.
It's just in your instance your new brass headspaces perfect in your chamber. So that's what size you make them. According to your measurements I would do 1.621
Shep

Shep,

Ok, that makes sense. I just hear and read everyone saying that it could take multiple firings for brass to be fully formed to chamber. It's a factory chamber and I would have guessed that they are typically rather large than a tight chamber.

I respect you, which is why I have reached out to you in the past. I'll go with your recommendation.

Thanks
Steve

I have never seen once fired in a non belted case vary by that much. Not saying it isn't, but it could also be the way your measuring. Try depriming with a universal decapper first, then put a tiny tiny amount of case lube where the comparator hits the shoulder. Roll the case around while holding light tension with your calipers so that it sort of self centers in the comparator. Doing it this way you can see 1/2 thou changes.

How has the once fired cases varied by much. The new cases are virtually the same size as the fired case. Their is .001-.0015 difference.

Primers were removed with a Lee Universal recapping die.

Steve

I'm well aware of the tools and what they do and why you use them. Thanks though.

I am simply asking how to minimally size 1x brass when the bolt cannot be stripped to perform the Alex Wheeler method.

Steve
My apologize then if I missed something - you said you are a new reloader, and later on another post, you said you did not know what sizing dies do. If you simply want to resize once-fired brass minimally, then seems like all you need to do is use a full length sizing die to do so. You should get your brass back to factory specs, just be sure to measure length and trim if necessary. 25 WSm is giving excellent guidance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.