Need some bullet suggestions

drenner43

I'm getting ready to start loading and I have a few questions and need some suggestions.

220 Swift - 1 in 14 twist
I have some Hornady V-Max 55 gr and some Berger Varmint 55 gr pills to try. Anyone have any loads to try with either of these as well as any suggestions to any others to try or reason not to use either of these?

300 Win Mag - Factory Ruger 24" barrel, anybody know the twist?
I was going to try the Berger 210 VLD hunting bullet in this gun and was thinking about either the Hornady 208 A-max or the Barnes 200 gr TSX. I also thought about the Nosler Partition. Anybody have any suggestions on which one to try along with the berger and any loads with them?

30-378 Weatherby Mag - 1-10 twist Accumark
Thinking about the same things as above. Any suggestions?

Also, I read quite a bit here and I never see much mention of anyone using Nosler Partitions for long range hunting, why is that? Also, feel free to list any suggestions you might have that I do not have listed above. Thanks!

in the 220 i would try 4320/4064/4350, 60 horn and nosler. t he 300 win se 72.6 re-22 , 210 berger.

I can't help you with the Swift but I can offer some help with the two 300 mags:

300WM- If you can't stabilize the 210 Berger, I would suggest NOT using the 200 TSX, I have been using the TSX, TTSX & MRX in rifles for several years & I honestly believe the 200 TSX is to much bullet for the 300WM (unless you're hunting costal grizzlies). In smaller game (probably even elk) at +200 you will more than likely experence some penciling through the game. My experinece with the 300WM & similar velocity cartridges is that they don't generate enough velocity to create reliable expansion at extended ranges, 180grn Barnes would be better IMHO & stick with the TTSX; you will get a slightly better BC & more consistent expansion due to the polymer tip.

Now the big Weatherby may be the exception to the rule above as it can generate a good bit more velocity than the 300WM which will definitely aid in more reliable expansion although I still wouldn't hesitate to shoot the 180's (probably the MRX) on pretty much anything, either may be a great choice.

In case you don't know the difference between the MRX & the TTSX; the MRX has a Tungsten based Silvex core in the base of the bullet which shortens the bullet (compared to a 180 TTSX), moves the center of gravity rearward in the bullet & also penetrates like a MOTHER do to the extremely hard material. (they're also about $2.00 a bullet).

Hope this helps a little.

220 Swift= Personally, I am partial to Hogdens powders.

I used H-380 and Federal Primers. Either bullet will work good, I've used em both. Varget is a very good powder too, I use it behind the 55 Berger with CCI primers.................3700 '/sec is plumb easy, accuracy is stupid scary.

Any of the 52-53 grain match bullets will do a nice job on varmints too, velocity is plenty fast enough to ensure expansion. I once shot 3 out of 4 groups in the same afternoon that were just a tad over 1/4 moa wide at 300 yds (no vertical spread at all!)...........using H-380, Federal match primer, Sierra 53 gr. matchkings.

I don't have any experience with the other two....sorry.

I don't think partitions have a reputation for the precision required on really long range stuff. I believe they are flat based too.?? Not very good BC compared to what else is available these days.

Chances are your 300WM has a 1:10 twist. However you could measure it yourself if you need to.

In case you not aware, Barnes has a new hunting bullet coming out in January that is called the LRX bullet in 30 caliber and I believe it is 168 grainer. You may want to keep your eye for that one, should be a good one!

Thanks for the input guys. Here's where I think I'm at and going to try...

55 gr V-Max
55 gr Berger Varmint

300 & 30-378
210 Berger
200 Accubond

The partitions aren't often used for long range because of the relatively low B.C. They are otherwise an excellent bullet at any reasonable range. The Ruger almost certainly has a 10 twist. Good luck.....Rich

55 grainers are a little on the heavy side for a 14 twist, of the 2 bergers are the better choice, it would probably love 40 grain nosler ballistic tips with 4064!

As for the 300 win ruger, i have one, they are a 10 twist, mine does not like anything bigger than 180s, accubonds or sst interlock, mine likes 165s the best though 3.410 oal with 74.6 grains Imr 4350.

The 30-378 will like the 200 accubonds or the 210 bergers with reloder 22 or 25, but for the best results the bergers need to be seated on the lands.

I get very good results shooting the 52 grain nosler match bullets out of 1-14 twist .22's. Consistent groups under .2 MOA at velocities over 4000 fps.

Since you have two 300's I would make the winny a flat shooting killer for out to 600 or so yards shooting the 150 Barnes TTSX. I would make the 30-378 my super long range rig shooting one of the 200-210 grain high BC bullets. The nosler 200 grain AB is a good choice because it is a quality big game hunting bullet with a high .588 BC. The 210 Berger and 208 Amax can get you well into the .6's and I use the Amax on deer size animals taking one over 1000 yards this year. For elk size critters though I like the 200 AB.

I had no intentions of arguing or disagreeing with anyone, he should try what he has or likes, although as mentioned the 52 grain nosler custom competetion bullets do in deed group excellent, i started out with 55 grain v-max then 53 grain sierras then 50 grain noslers, then 45 grain win hps, and now im at the 40 grain noslers and they have given the smallest groups, what i like to call a ragged hole and mine is a 12 twist. As for the TSXs i have had to many unethical kills with those from through and throughs as mentioned by someone else, i shot a deer 2 years ago, hit heart and lungs and went on through and this was with a 257 wby at 160 yards, i finally found it about a half mile from where i shot it, so unless your looking for cape buffalo i dont think they will be needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.