Need suggestions on next steps.

6.5x300 WBY

Well I am shooting my MPA 6 creed. And my first loads are doing great. .5 consistently. But the bad I am not happy enough with that. I want to get that into the .2 range.
Alpha
Sierra 107 HPBT
H4350 42.5 gr
CCI 41
OAL 2.806
CBTO 2.241
I figure it's got to be seating depth time so if you agree what increments should I do?

Do I use the cbto and go down like to 2.231 or 2.238? Please advise. Thank you all. Its all your faults Anyways that I am not happy with a .5

Last edited:
I find the smallest group I can with a load recipe and then use the Berger recommended method for seating depth test. Also, I would play with .2 grain changes one way or the other when I think I am close with the group size just to ensue it is the best acheivable.

Just a side note. Getting into the "2" is a monumental task and may not be a practical goal with the type of gun being shot. Very few can get there.

Good luck and have fun!

I did the .2 each way and this was the best. Others were terrible like .7 .8 .9.
That's why I was figuring it's seating depth time. I hope it's obtainable, because I look at .5 and it now looks not that good anymore. :(..

Seating depth next.
Then primer testing.
Then neck tension if it goes that far.

.2s consistently is a big task order. Not undoable, but be prepared for disappointment. .3-.4s is admirable. .2s all the time is amazing.

I think my personal 6CM is amazing. It consistently shoots in the mid .3s. And that is good enough for head shots on prairie dogs at 440. 1100 on 8" plates is routine.

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a target competition shooter who does not worry about jamming a bullet:
1. .010 into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
2. .040 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .080 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .120 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).

Well I am shooting my MPA 6 creed. And my first loads are doing great. .5 consistently. But the bad I am not happy enough with that. I want to get that into the .2 range.
Alpha
Sierra 107 HPBT
H4350 42.5 gr
CCI 41
OAL 2.806
CBTO 2.241
I figure it's got to be seating depth time so if you agree what increments should I do?

Do I use the cbto and go down like to 2.231 or 2.238? Please advise. Thank you all. Its all your faults Anyways that I am not happy with a .5
Are you sure you are capable of shooting a .2? I think you are trying to split hairs here, a .5 moa rifle is a good rifle. Most people are not capable of shooting .2 consistently, alot has to be perfect all the time. Try shooting at longer ranges and see what the gun does. You won't notice the the difference at longer distances.

Alpha
Sierra 107 HPBT
H4350 42.5 gr
CCI 41
OAL 2.806
CBTO 2.241

barrel tuner, anneal brass, neck tension

Oh increments of 3 thou. Try to find a node that's at least 5 thou across, load middle. That way ojive variance doesn't take you out of the node. Load your 3 test loads per cbto, shoot em and hopefully you'll see the groups tighten and then open, in a perfect world, across a big node. Load it and retest it. And you can do only 2 rounds to test jump, but 3's better.