Need suggestions/help

BoomFlop

I'm a new Reloader and have had great results thus far with 223 Rems and new brass. I'm now going to begin reloading for 3 different 7mm-08's. My son has practiced with Nosler factory 120 gr BT's and has 100 pc of 1x in his Browning X Bolt. The other 2 rifles and both 223's are all Remingtons. I bought the Kleindorst tool as well as the Sinclair Ejector tool to help determine headspace with firing pin and ejector removed. However, the Browning doesn't seem to be as simple as that.

My question, how should I set headspace for this rifle. I have Hornady Headspace comparator And Redding Comp Shell holders.

Thanks
Steve

take a couple pieces of brass that was fired in that rifle and neck size only . reload and fire these 2 , 3 , 4 times until they start to get tight to chamber . now you have fully expanded brass . measure this brass with the hornady tool . set up your full length die with the + .010 shellholder , size the brass , measure it . keep going to the next shellholder until you measure .002 shorter than the tight fitting measurement . now take another piece of the fully expanded brass , and size it . be sure it measures .002 shorter . that should get you where you need to be .

On all the Remingtons, I will remove firing pin and ejector and size until the bolt falls freely.

On the Browning it will be very difficult to feel as the ejector causes pressure on closing. I'm not sure how I'm going to tell if it's the ejector or headspace.

Sherm, correct...I'm looking for help on shoulder bump.

I want to minimally size and also don't want to gall my lugs.

Thanks all
Steve

I think what jimbires is saying is that you need to fire new brass a few times to fully expand it to your chamber. So, neck size the rounds and fire them until a freshly reloaded (neck sized only) round is a bit stiff to close the bolt on. Then measure with the case comparator and bump shoulder back .002 from that measurement. If you size once fired back .002, you are almost always creating more headspace than what is needed.

I like to use an RCB Precision Mic to meaure my fired brass, and then set the up die to get the .002 headspace. I found it a little easier than the comparator route, which also works. I use the comparator moe when I verify my seating depths. I have also used a Willis digital heasdspace gauge as another way to verify the headspace.

Last edited:
You should never use the bolt drop method to set your headspace. Use a measurement with the tools to get the proper setback and then you can do the bolt drop test to see if your dies are sizing properly. Your bolt drop test only tells you if you have full clearance on your case not the correct setback. If say for instance your die is not sizing all the body enough for your chamber then your bolt won't drop even though the setback is correct. If you keep sizing that brass till the bolt drops you will have way too much setback. So what I'm saying is that the bolt drop test won't tell you where the clearance issue is that won't let if drop. It could be any dimension that is still too large. But by measuring you will get the perfect setback every time. And once you have perfect setback if your bolt doesn't drop your die is not working for your chamber. Never keep setting the shoulder back to get the bolt to drop without measurements to back up that your setback is correct.
Shep

Shep

So how do I determine the measurement to go by? Many say the once fired brass won't be fully fire formed. That is the part I'm struggling with.

Thanks
Steve

If you go by once fired brass you will be close enough. I've done it both ways to see how much difference there would be. Fresh once fired case and then with a case fired 4 times. There was literally .001 difference. I'm not to worried about . 001 on my setback. I generally set my brass back .003 on my hunting rifles and haven't had any issues. On my 1000 yard comp guns I run from . 001 to . 005 setback depending on what cartridge it is.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.