Need Some Input On New Rifle Project

JW74

So I am planning on putting a riffle together as a winter project. Basically I want to get a lower cost starter rifle in .308 and add a custom stock, detachable magazine, muzzle break ect.

I have it narrowed down to two candidates.

The first is a Remington 700 ADL Varmint (internal magazine/no external base plate). It has a plastic molded stock with 26" heavy barrel and is going for about $445 right now at Cabella's. I would have to add the detachable mag assembly from Wyatt's for about another $250. Then was thinking of adding a B&C Tatical Medalist stock.

The second choice is a Savage Model 11VT (exclusive to Dick's). It is a 24" heavy barrel, accutrigger and is going for $419 with an additional $75 dollar rebate. Great price ($345). I would have to spend another $150 to add new bottom metal so that it will fit the Choate Tactical stock with a compatible detachable mag.

Not including the cost of aftermarket stock the Savage is coming in at about $200 cheaper than the Rem 700. What I am wondering; is the Rem 700 worth the extra $200 dollars right off the bat?

Whatever rifle I choose I will paint the stock myself and have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 22-23" and add a muzzle break.

Thanks for any input!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.