Need some help please

If you really want a headache read some of Jack O'Conner's work, then read some Elmer Keith's. Once you've solved their disagreement move on to "controlled round feed" vs "push feed." Some long lived arguments that have gained lives of their own over decades.

In The 1966 when I got discharged from the Navy I was young and dumb and did not know any better so bought a Post 1964 Winchester Mo 70 in 308 Win.Shot Mule Deer,Elk,Moose,Bear,Antelope,Caribou with it before I got edjamacated that I need a magnum of some sort to hunt those animals.Go figure!!!

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Considering the current price of ammo, and the indefinite resolution to the current shortage, now probably isn't the best time to be getting into rifles. If you simply can not resist the urge, the 308 does appear to have the best availability and price of the larger caliber cartridges. The price is still too high, though. Best advice I've read about addressing the high prices is to not be part of the problem, don't buy ammo, and spend your money on something else.

Considering the current price of ammo, and the indefinite resolution to the current shortage, now probably isn't the best time to be getting into rifles. If you simply can not resist the urge, the 308 does appear to have the best availability and price of the larger caliber cartridges. The price is still too high, though. Best advice I've read about addressing the high prices is to not be part of the problem, don't buy ammo, and spend your money on something else.
That's a great argument for cartridges that otherwise wouldn't be compelling. Nobody's shooting them, so the stuff is around. Components are widely available at pre-crazytown prices. I have like 4,000 175SMK's that are just holding down a shelf and collecting dust for the past 6 years.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Thank you for all the advice and I will be buying and reading "The Accurate Rifle...and Rifleman" before I buy any rifle. I'm still leaning towards the 308 but may do a 300wm with a brake on it. I did mention I want to shoot f-class competition but its for fun only. I'm 43 with 3 kids and I have wanted to shoot long distance for literally decades and I'm finally at a point in my life when I can afford to do it. I know there is no rifle that can do everything but I'm thinking the 308 or 300wm will do enough to get me where I want to be. I'll keep reading and continue to save as I know the more I read the more money I'll end up spending. Thanks again for the help and advice, I really do appreciate it.

I started hunting big game with a borrowed .308 win, back in the 90's. It worked well for me but when I had finally saved up enough to buy my first hunting rifle, I got a 300WM.

After a couple of years I found the 300 win to be too much rifle for my needs at the time. It was not pleasant to practice with, cumbersome to carry in the forest and ruined a lot of meat (most of my kills were inside 300yd)

300WM performance is awesome, but performance comes at a cost.

I sold the 300 and was given a semi custom 30-06 which was more portable and more pleasant to shoot. I love that rifle and still have it today. It's on its second barrel, because even when I couldn't find time or space to reload, factory ammo was cheap and plentiful, so I was able to shoot a lot.

Many people think the 30-06 does not make a great long range cartridge, but loaded with 215g Berger's, it does pretty well out to 1000.

These days, I like the .280 shooting 180's a little better - a little more velocity, a little less recoil. If factory ammunition were more available, I would suggest a .280AI or it's ballistic twin, the 7mm SAUM. These cartridges offer a really nice balance of performance in the holistic sense. I have a .280 Rem and for me it hits the sweet spot.

I still think the .308win is a very practical cartridge. I have one that weighs less than 7lbs all up. It has an 18" bbl and I carry it a lot fishing, camping, etc... It's built for portability, and the way it is set up, for me it's a 300yd gun.

If you are in favor of the 308 then go with your gut. Use bullets between 168-180 grain for both hunting and target shooting. I prefer the 168 grain Berger's myself. Specially in a 20" barrel. I would choose a 7 Mag for bear and elk over a 308, but without a muzzle break it kicks pretty hard. I don't think F class allows muzzle break or magnum rifles. I'm not sure. A 308 is a great training rifle for long range shooters. It's great for training purposes because it's a flying brick. It's slow and very low BC. As you progress and learn more with your skills your equipment will advance along with you.

I am not a competitive shooter, nor do I consider myself a "long range" shooter - there are lots of others on this site who can give you better advice about that, but I HAVE been hunting for sixty years and think I've learned a few things about that in all that time. So ... I am not a big fan of short-barreled rifles. It's not because I think they are less accurate, but because of muzzle blast, which is just too uncomfortable for me. I like that you are looking at Tikka rifles as they are probably one of the best accuracy for the buck rifles out there. I have had several and they all shoot lights-out. As for caliber, you seem to have narrowed it down to the 6.5 Creed and the .308 Win. - both very accurate, although most folks might say the Creed is a little light for elk. If you like 6.5s, you might consider the 6.5 PRC which shoots bullets about 200 f/s faster than the Creed. My hunting companion killed an elk at 300 yards with the PRC last season and got complete penetration with a broadside shot. The elk wobbled around a little and fell down right there. You are correct in that the Creed is probably more popular than the .308 Win. these days, but that older cartridge has been popular for a long time for a reason. But maybe the best advice anyone can give you these days is - what ever you are considering, be sure you can get cartridges for it before you buy. Good luck, be safe and have fun!

Thank you for all the advice and I will be buying and reading "The Accurate Rifle...and Rifleman" before I buy any rifle. I'm still leaning towards the 308 but may do a 300wm with a brake on it. I did mention I want to shoot f-class competition but its for fun only. I'm 43 with 3 kids and I have wanted to shoot long distance for literally decades and I'm finally at a point in my life when I can afford to do it. I know there is no rifle that can do everything but I'm thinking the 308 or 300wm will do enough to get me where I want to be. I'll keep reading and continue to save as I know the more I read the more money I'll end up spending. Thanks again for the help and advice, I really do appreciate it.
If you have a club near you I'd go visit during a match. I'd ask the director of the match, or whoever is in charge about matches and what not. You may get some ideas there. Also if you're going to shoot FTR then 308 win and 223 are the cartridges. In the open divisions other cartridges are allowed. I've given 7mm cartridges more consideration as they have a good selection of high BC bullets for long range. And the "hunting" bullet selection is good too. One thing about matches is people will upgrade equipment to become more competitive. If shooting one cartridge (FTR) it creates a more even playing field. Neither of which is important if "fun" is the criteria. So I'd probably pick a cartridge that fits your hunting parameters the best and push your limits at the matches. Good luck and have fun!!!

Get yourself a 7mm Rem mag & never look back. It will give you the accuracy & diversity to do everything you'll want to do with it.

20" 308 is fine. Recoil is manageable for a newbie so not to develop the yips and bad recoil management techniques. 308 has been bringing home the meat, stopping the bad guys, and punching out X's since 1952. Great cartridge for learning to shoot the wind. A chimp can dial the drop, but wind separates the shooters from the trigger yankers. Shorter barrel saves a few ounces and gets through heavy brush better which is good for a "goin' where they be" rifle. And, accomplished, knowledgeable shooters such as Todd Hodnett commonly opt for shorter barrels as they can always consistently dial for the little extra drop due to lower muzzle velocity of shorter barrel, but can't dial for the "whip" of the longer barrels. Just be sure your scope has the adjustment range to reach your desired range, with a sloped picatinny rail being an option for more angle in keeping your zeroed scope toward adjustment center for maximum optical performance. Starting out, suggest spending W-A-A-A-Y more on glass than the rifle. Great glass provides consistent, repeatable adjustment necessary for precision shooting, robustness for a lifetime of shooting, and optical performance because you can't hit what you can't see. CONSISTENCY IS KING!!! SEEING IS QUEEN!!!! Once you surpass the capability of the starter rifle and the 308, the great glass can be moved to an upgraded rifle. In optics, buy once, cry once, happy ever after will save you a **** pot full of money and frustration in the long run. Been there, done that. Your mileage won;t vary a short stack of flapjacks.. Welcome to the addiction. Keep us current on your journey into the light.