Need some help please

Firemandivi

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Don't look at what is offered, or even what is popular, as a guide to what you should be doing.

You need a mentor. I'll raise my hand for consideration. Please reference our YouTube channel and Instagram channel to weigh whether we'd be a good fit. The links are below. If you think we would, then just give me a call anytime and we'll evaluate your current position, immediate needs, and future needs... and offer some experience-based solutions. Your budget is way beneath what we offer, but I can direct you to where the solutions we land on can best be found.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The 308 win is a fine caliber. As is 30-06, .270 winchester, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 7-08, 6.5 Creed,,, and on and on. Considering the 308 win, there might be a little gap between your hunting - "F" class desires? Maybe consider a magnum to cover your bases. I have had very good luck with Savage. They have some very fine factory built - accurate rifles. And at a reasonable price, that would fit your stated budget. The 110 Long Range hunter might be worth your consideration. 26" barrel +-. Savage rifles also have the benefit of swapping barrels, without the need of a lathe - gunsmith. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. My reloading skills are zero, never done it before. Im looking at getting into reloading shotgun as me and my oldest son got into trap and skeet shooting and $100 a case lasts one weekend.

As for the f class competition, i just want to go and have fun, i know i won'tbe competitive, but its been a dream of my for decades to shoot out to 1000 yards.

I wasnt thinking of a magnum as i heard they pack quite the punch.

I've never fired a magnum before. 12 gauge slugs have some kick and a few boxes of them and i can feel it in my shoulder. Im thinking a magnum while it would be better for what i want would be a but much for me. How does the kick on 300 win mag compare to a 1 ounce slug?

what ever caliber you end up deciding on , think about someday down the line if you choose to move up , what your options will be , then you might be able to use a lot of the components you have , if you decide to hand load.
Then go to the store and shoulder the companies rifles your thinking about if possible , you'll know the ones that feel right.

I've never fired a magnum before. 12 gauge slugs have some kick and a few boxes of them and i can feel it in my shoulder. Im thinking a magnum while it would be better for what i want would be a but much for me. How does the kick on 300 win mag compare to a 1 ounce slug?
They both are terrible from a bench. A .300 Win Mag is the only gun I owned which none of my friends enjoyed to shoot. No brake.

I think you are looking for two guns even if the same caliber. One for the field that shoots great from the bench. And, a bench gun with a bull barrel and wide stock. Why not?