Need some help please

$849 Rifle
Then, I'd put it in a BOYDS Laminated Wood Stock (Under $250)

7mm Mag LONG SHOT!
(I've taken 5 big game animals in my life, and all were within 300-yards.)

I like the TIKKA bolt face and extractor.

Attachments

• tikka.jpg
    tikka.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I would separate the two rifle uses. Learn good rifle shooting skills to enable you to hunt. Build your skills and experience. No rush. Ease into competition. My advice for the F-Class angle is this. Start going to matches now without a rifle. See what goes on and meet some people. Ask lots of questions. I'd be surprised if you weren't invited to test drive someone's rifle before long. Stay in touch. You'll probably find a high quality used F-Class rifle available soon. Much cheaper than starting from scratch without many answers for what YOU need. Enjoy!

Bob

Hunting 308. long distance 1000yd competition I wouldn't, I go magnum and it would be heavier than hunting rifles.

Tikka makes a ctr in 6.5 creed with a 20" barrel also.

I think you were already on a great path.

Buy a ctr in 308/6.5 creedmoor and put a Bushnell lrts/lrhs2 on it and start shooting. The ctr is the best crossover/do all rifle made imo
I agree. 6 years ago I did this same exercise. I bought the Tikka CTR .308 and my brother got the Tikka CTR 6.5 CM. Both great guns. We have taken many deer and pronghorn. Just for fun one midday during a TX deer hunt we set out a 500 yard range with 8" gong. We both hit 9/10. He reloads his 6.5 CM, but I was using factory Fushion 150 gr, hadn't even chrono'd, just numbers off the box plugged into shooterscalculator.com.
Love my Tikka.

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Personally I like the new 6.5 PRC round. Great choice for elk out 500 yrds and deer size beyond. It is the big brother to the Creedmoor. Good luck

I'm extremely new to hunting with rifles, in fact I've never hunted with a rifle before. I hunt with a bow and shotgun depending on the season. I'm getting into rifles now as I have the time and a little extra money to do it.

I'm looking for a rifle for deer, black bear and elk (if possible), but also capable of shooting for fun at f-class competitions up to 1,000 yards.

I've been looking at the Tikka CTR in 308 but it only comes with a 20" barrel which supposedly only losses about 100fps vs a 24" barrel. Not sure about accuracy and bullet stability though.

I would like to stay around $1,200 for the rifle because glass, bipod and a new stock add up quick. I have been searching the internet and am overloaded with info. Everyone has a different opinion of what is best, for long range shooting 6.5 creedmore is loved these days, but hunting elk with it is not looked favorably upon. While the 308 is an older cartridge and not as good for long distance but for hunting is still a very popular cartridge.

I'm leaning towards a 308 as it has proven capable for long distance shooting and is a very common hunting cartridge. But is a 20" barrel long enough for a 308? There seems to be less long distance rifles made in 308 these days, I can only assume because of the popularity of the 6.5 creedmore, but why are the 308's coming out with 20" long barrels, while the 6.5 creedmore have 24" barrels?

A 308 will do everything you ask from it as long as you both understand each other! I have had plenty of Magnums over the years and still have a couple of the powder burners. If it means anything I'm having a .308 put together as I type this response and currently have 2 others.
Tikka owners seem to love them I have zero experience with them to offer up.

Thanks for the info. My reloading skills are zero, never done it before. Im looking at getting into reloading shotgun as me and my oldest son got into trap and skeet shooting and $100 a case lasts one weekend.

As for the f class competition, i just want to go and have fun, i know i won'tbe competitive, but its been a dream of my for decades to shoot out to 1000 yards.

I wasnt thinking of a magnum as i heard they pack quite the punch.
Take a look at the Tikka T3X model in .308 - great for both. I got one on sale for around $550 and picked up a very decent scope - a 4 x 15 40 MM Fullfield? from Burris - for about $300 - including a free bonus scope in 3x9. 40 MM - that I put on my 30,06 - replacing an old but faithful Simmons.
And while 6.5 Creed might be better at longer range sport shooting - the 308 packs more punch (180 grain) for game and is light recoil as well.

A Tikka in 308 is exactly what I would buy.

Before you buy do yourself a favor and compare ammo $$. It is my understanding that 6.5 PRC is very expensive right now. Well all factory is expensive, but some are over the moon expensive.

Accuracy should be great out of a 20" barrel, There is a little more rigidity than a 24" barrel. Tikka makes a very accurate and well made rifle in a number of cartridges. You are on the right track with looking at the .308 Win and the Creed but don't overlook other rounds that can outperform the above mentioned such as 30-06, 6.5x55, 270 etc. you are on the right track.

There are a lot of good rounds in your category,280 Remington ( however not a lot of ammo selection unless you reload) 270 Winchester, 280 AI & 30:06- good ammo selection and availability.

If you can only afford 1 rifle to do all of this, my advice is to go w .300 WM. .300 win mag with heavier bullets in the 180 to 220 gr class will take down any animal in NA though for grizzly Id prefer .338.

To minimize recoil, get a good 5 port muzzle brake like the MBM beast, and shoot lower gr bullets like hammers at higher velocities.
You can probably take elk w 150 to 180 gr bullets w lower recoil.
Lower gr. bullets w a big muzzle brake the .300 win mag will seem like a .270.

It will also shoot 1000 yards.
The .308 may shoot 1000 yards
but the max effective range according to the military is about 800 I think. Its not meant ballistically to be a flat shooting 1000 yard gun. You can aim 3 ft. above a target and hit it at 1300 yards, maybe.....but it certainly is no FClass target rifle for competition, not at 1000 yards.

My 2 cents for one rifle to do all the things you mentioned is .300 WM

A great muzzle brake is a must for .300 WM, especially for bench and competition.

shooting smaller hammers say in 120 to 150 gr you will have very pleasant shooting and can take deer all day long.

You didn't mention

This seems like a pretty ambitious project, but do you have any experience shooting
rifles ?

In a training environment or hunting environment, when uninitiated shooters get into a group of exceptional shooters, there is only one cartridge people regret buying into more than 308win, and that is 338LM.

I've seen it countless times. The deflated looks. The broken spirits. Reality is an unforgiving teacher.

... and it is not caused by other shooters mistreating them or their choice. Anyone in my circle will be supportive and encouraging no matter what is brought. Instead, it's being presented with the first hand reality of what is happening down range and what is happening at the shooters location. More truthfully, it's what's NOT happening down range, and what IS happening at the firing position that cuts deepest.

I too was talked into a 308win over 20 years ago on a forum very similar to this. It wasn't a mistake, but it wasn't the right choice then and it certainly isn't the right choice now. At the time, I couldn't be convinced of that... but there was a lot of things I was wrong about back then. Despite the fact I won every rifle competition I entered with an 18" 308win... it wasn't even remotely the right choice. That wouldn't have happened that way today.

A 32" palma setup running 155's at 3000fps might con people into believing the 308 is more than it is... but it isn't. It never was, and it won't be. Yet I still have one. If it were my only rifle, I wouldn't. It wouldn't even make the top 10. There are still instances where the 308win is the right answer, but those use cases are very rare.

Every single day in a training/mentorship capacity I talk to a shooter that is unhappy with their choices which were colored by forum discussions such as this. I don't call people up out of the blue and tell them they are unhappy. They call me and tell ME they are unhappy, and why. The number of times that is as a result of them purchasing the wrong tool for the job is in the overwhelming majority. Having been misled and being unhappy about it, they all find themselves in the position of not knowing where to turn. The realization that forum posts can't product hits at distance, lands with a dull painful thud in their lives. Thankfully we get them out of it quickly and without issue. There are others that can as well.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Recent Posts