Need some basic cleaning advice.

deermaster

I have heard so much about cleaning, I just don't know what to believe. So I have some questions I'd really like some help with to clear up some myths and bad info I have gotten.

1) After barrel break-in is complete, how often does a rifle need cleaning? I am fortunate enough to have a 100 yard range minutes from my house. If I take the time to shoot from various hunting positions, say 3-5 shots a day just to stay "in shape", totaling a box or so a week, would I give my barrel a complete cleaning at the end of the day, after just 3-5 shots, or would I wait until I shoot a box? Two boxes? More, less?

2) Copper solvent kinda scares me. I read a while back if left in the bore too long, the ammonia can eat into the barrel. Is this true? How long is too long, and how would I completely remove it?

I'm sure the answers to these questions will lead to more questions, I really appreciate the time. Thanks for any help!

There's a pretty good article on the home page that speaks to Bore Cleaning.

Bore Cleaning Basics

I'd start there. I had the same question a few weeks ago, and I stumbled onto that article. Try that.

Also, it recommends Butch's Bore Shine as one of the cleaners; I have been using it, and I think it's doing a very good job getting the bore clean. I don't know if it's eating my barrel; I certainly hope not. Based on everything I've read, that should only be a problem if you leave the solution in the barrel for more than about 10 minutes.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction.

I would encourage you to get some "Bore Tech Eliminator" for your cleaning. It does a better job than "anything" I have used and does it quicker You can leave it in overnight if you want to and it won't hurt your barrel......Rich

Don't be afraid of copper solvent, just use a reputable brand and follow the manufacturers instructions. If it says "don't allow to remain in bore longer than 15 minutes" then only let it set 10 minutes if it worries you. Repeat after swabing with normal solvent if you're wondering.....did it work, did I leave it in long enough. I always follow copper solvent with a mild solvent to ensure there's no residue sitting in the barrel. I use Shooters Choice (among others) and they say to swab with "normal" solvent after using.

Your range time will tell you how often you need to clean. If your groups go to hell after 20 rounds, and cleaning brings em back......clean every 20. If you're still shootin good with 50 rounds fired, wonderful.

I try and clean every 50 rounds at max personally, or before the gun is gonna set unused for quite a while. Some comp shooters don't clean until the comp is done, might be 100 rounds! Others clean every chance they get a break.

I stay away from ammonia based cleaners (copper solvents) too. They are too harsh and they stink up the house. Hoppes Elite is an excellent copper solvent without that nasty ammonia. Its all I use now and follow with a couple dry patches then Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner.

After break-in, I'd run at least 20-30 shots before cleaning if the rifle is in routine use, and, given the rifle maintains accuracy. For cleaning I like Bore-Tech Eliminator which handles both copper and carbon well given there is no extreme build up present. To avoid build-up, I'd recommend the use of a good bronze brush in addition to cotton swabs for regular cleaning.