Need some advice for new rifle

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by sean1, Nov 9, 2011.

1. sean1

sean1 Well-Known Member

I am going to part ways with my m70 to try and find a gun that suits my needs better. I would like to get a rifle with a medium heavy barrel contour with a good synthetic stock or a laminate stock that will shoot at least moa Preferably in 300 win mag. Do not want to brake the bank or I would have one built. So I am looking at factory.

I hear some say the new Remingtons are not what they used to be. Lost some faith in Winchester. I hear savages shoot but not fond of the looks or the feel. I like the browning eclipse but on the fence on a thumbhole for hunting. Plus I hear there is not much aftermarket support if needed.

Gun will be used for long range hunting and fun shooting. Any suggestions?

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

What do you have now? What your Mod70?

3. HJW

HJW Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Tikka T3.

4. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

sendero pick the caliber

5. hnts4fun

hnts4fun Well-Known Member

+1

Mine shoots lights out!

6. sean1

sean1 Well-Known Member

Picked up some tikkas at gander mountain last night. Stock seems thin for my liking especially with a magnum round.

Sendero is a definite thought. Actually set up just the way I want one but my local gun shop tells me they have been sending a fair amount of Remingtons back because they are leaving the factory with problems. Has anyone had much experience with a newer sendero?

7. roninflag

my hunting buddies ( and i have ) 20+ of them.

8. sean1

sean1 Well-Known Member

Wow. I'd say you do. Any issues? Did some take some work ( recrown, bedding etc ) to get to shot? Do any calibers seem to do better than others as far as accuracy?

9. roninflag

they all shot good. remember 20 is still a small sample size. the most accurate with a factory barrel was of all things a 300 rum. the two guys with 7mm rum had to work at it a little . the most common caliber in these 20+ (7) is the 300 wm all shot good. the 7mm rem mag all did real good too. two 25-06 and a 264. good.

10. roninflag

SEAN- almost the mags have breaks. also i do not care for the rums. for me it is tooo much of a good thiing. 96 grain of powder. that is just me though.

11. dogdinger

dogdinger Writers Guild

I will add my vote with Roy. I had a 7mm rem mag in a sendero that shot really well......after some work....had to do a bedding job and freefloat the bbl. Mosy senderos i have ben around shot well. AJ

12. sean1

sean1 Well-Known Member

Although I have never shot one, I would probably agree on the RUM's. The 300 win mag is enough in my mind. Are there any other rifles out there worth looking at? In that $1000- $1500 range?

13. roninflag

the winchester laredo . not made any more. mine shot great. blued, unfluted so heavier. fn patrol same as laredo. savage i can't say . there are guys on here that make the various model work.

14. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

I'll have to pile on here. Factory gun that shoots....sendero!