need Need more experienced help

I have a 3 280 AIs. I use h4831sc for lighter 140 class bullets at 3200 fps in 26 inch barrels. Maybe you are not pushing hard enough. I use RL23 with 175s at 2950 out of a 24". The 280AI likes to go fast, find a good node for SD and ES then adjust the seating depth. That will tighten the groups.

I have a 3 280 AIs. I use h4831sc for lighter 140 class bullets at 3200 fps in 26 inch barrels. Maybe you are not pushing hard enough. I use RL23 with 175s at 2950 out of a 24". The 280AI likes to go fast, find a good node for SD and ES then adjust the seating depth. That will tighten the groups.
Thanks, I know I was seeing less velocity than others were posting with the same bullets, so maybe you are correct that I need to push more. Always a little hesitant when approaching max, but I havent seen any pressure signs to this point.

Just for a reference, in a 24" 7 mag with H4831sc and ADG brass, I am running the 143 @ 3250 fps, pressure signs showed up a little over 3300 fps. The Barnes will be noticeably slower due to bearing surface design, and Nosler brass is not near as tough as ADG, however in a 26" 280ai, I would expect the 143 to run 3150ish with H4831sc, and likely a little more with rl23. However, different rifle/ammunition components could make that vary.

Assuming all possible rifle/optic issues are addressed....

I would do a primer test at a charge weight you know is safe and was accurate in the past. I would start with CCI 200, CCI 250, Federal GM210M and GM215M. Do 5 shot groups of each, in decent conditions, and I prefer to do this at a minimum of 200 yards. Check velocities while doing this. E.S. isn't necessarily important at this point, you may be outside of a charge node, however you will get an idea how the primers affect velocity.

Choose the best one, then (if you haven't already) do a rough max pressure work up (in that cartridge, I would do one shat at each charge, increasing .5 grains at a time) so you know where pressure signs start to appear, also documenting velocity, and look for flat spots. Next is either a seating depth test if accuracy isn't very good (i start coarse, .015 jumps, then if needed, fine tune with .002" adjustments), or if it's doing well, a ladder.

In that cartridge, I would do 2 rounds each at .2 grain increases, surrounding the velocity range I want to be in, and shoot them at 600-800 yards. I shoot the two rounds of the same charge as quickly as I can accurately and consistently, so they are shot in similar conditions, let the barrel cool between 2 shot groups for hunting rifles.

If I don't find a good load doing this, I switch components. But if I start with good components, I rarely have to do that. H4831sc is a great powder for consistency in my experience, so is H4350. I have heard good things about rl23, but haven't tried it myself.
Thanks, I'm definitely going to try the mag primers. I have fed215m