Need load advise for a 460Wby

if anybody is intersted we worked up to 126grs of VV-550 and a 500gr Honady FMJ bullet for a velocity average for three shots of 2796fps !! he said that'll work so thats gonna be his big game load

Hello.

What barrel lenght are we talking about here?
I'm sorry, but it sounds to me that this load is way over what I have experienced in my 26"'er.

DON'T USE THE HORNADY FMJ. That bullet is NOT a bullet to be shooting dangerous big game. It will do OK for plains game. Go with the Barns bullets. The 500 solid is what an acquaintance used in his 460 WM with great success on all the big stuff for his hunt. He used a 340 WM on the plains game.

That 460 WM is not something to spend the day shooting off a bench. My buddy did the load workup for the above mentioned 460 WM. He spent 21 years in the USMC and use to shoot rifle grenades from an M1 Garand off his shoulder. He said that the Weatherby rifle with the factory break in 460 WM kicked 1/3 more. The first time he shot the 460 WM it almost knocked him off the bench stool he was sitting on. The "range codger", you know the old fellow that is always at the range and always knows it all. He shows up while my buddy is there shooting the 460 WM. He has not seen him shoot it yet but comes over and ask all the questions and starts giving advice like they always do. My buddy plays the game and ask the fellow if he would like to show him how to shoot this big rifle. The guy half-heartedly excepts the invitation because he is cornered. He sits down and shoots the rifle once. It almost knocks him off the bench and almost brakes his jaw. He gets up with tears in his eyes calls my buddy a SOB and leaves. He did not ever speak to by buddy again for about 5 years before he died. My buddy almost went to the fellows funeral and slipped a 460 WM case into his coffin. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.