need insight on long range scope please

shooter7

I just finished up my first build. Stripped down a savage 110, put on a Criterion pre-fit 6.5 284, stockade prairie dog special, rifle basix trigger, talley 20 moa base. looking for a quality scope to throw on top. I'm in college and money is tight, got about a 500 dollar tax return on the way though. Been lookin at the Leupold VX 2 6-18x40AO target. Midway lists it with 56 moa of adjustment. would this be enough to reach out to 1k? looking for insight or suggestions on optics. thanks for the help

happy shooting

Re: scope suggestions????????

Just signed up to the forum and came across your thread
I just bought a Leopold vx3 4.5-14x40 to mount on my 7mm Rem mag and I love it. Wish I could have all the cash back that I wasted on Burris, B+L and tasco.
Very nice eye relief and super clear, and even though I haven't got the custom dials made yet I have messed around with the stock ones and point of impact comes back to zero exactly. Everytime. And with a 200 yard zero it takes an extra 8 mins for a 600 yard shot (168gr. Bullet) so with a 20 min rail I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. I paid 750 for that scope and I don't think you'll find anything better for that money. Anyway that's my two cents, good luck!

For a cheap alternative I just tried the Millet LRS 35mm tube, 56 mm objective and 6-25 or so power. I was getting those for high $300's and they are worth every penny. Excellent scope for the money.

I just finished up my first build. Stripped down a savage 110, put on a Criterion pre-fit 6.5 284, stockade prairie dog special, rifle basix trigger, talley 20 moa base. looking for a quality scope to throw on top. I'm in college and money is tight, got about a 500 dollar tax return on the way though. Been lookin at the Leupold VX 2 6-18x40AO target. Midway lists it with 56 moa of adjustment. would this be enough to reach out to 1k? looking for insight or suggestions on optics. thanks for the help

happy shooting

56 minutes of adjustment means it has +28 and -28 degrees....but sitting on top of those 20 degree bases you have -8 and +48 degrees of adjustment.

If +48 degrees of adjustment wont get you on target, you got problems bigger than any scope can handle!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.