Need help with long range scope parallax focus

leonard1708

I just bought a 6.5-20x44 vortex scope for coyote hunting and have not had much experience in the parallax world. I have only used 3x9 powered scopes. I guess my big question is if I zero my rifle at about 150 yards at about 16x magnification with the parallax focus at the same yardage and I see a coyote at say 250 yards but don't have to time to adjust the parallax focus and shoot on 150 yards but the animal is 250 yards away does it make a drastic difference? Is it minimal like 1-2.5 inches which is manageable or will it throw the bullet way off something like 5-6 inches would appreciate any help.

At those ranges you'll be fine. I think you'll have a bigger problem getting on a running coyote on 16x.:D

I mostly got it for the dogs at 500 not working about anything. If I sight in on 16 and bring it to 9x for those close shots will I have relatively the same zero?

Depends on the quality of your scope. A good quality scope will have pretty much the same POI regardless of power setting, a cheap scope, who knows?

Vortex seems to be a good brand so I would think so was just wondering if I bring it to 9x at 100 yards if I shoot middle body with a 200yard zero there shouldn't be much to worry about?

Depends on what you are shooting.
A 22-250 with 50 grain bullets, no problem.
A 45-70 with 400 grain bullets, it'll probably be a warning shot.

I'm over exaggerating but hopefully you catch my drift.

my big question is if I zero my rifle at about 150 yards at about 16x magnification with the parallax focus at the same yardage and I see a coyote at say 250 yards but don't have to time to adjust the parallax focus and shoot on 150 yards but the animal is 250 yards away does it make a drastic difference?

No, it won't make a drastic difference.

How much difference it makes depends upon how well you have your eye centered on the scope for the 250 yd shot. If it's perfectly centered then there won't be any parallax. Parallax only becomes a problem when your eye isn't aligned properly with the scope and (not or) the parallax adjustment of the scope is off. In your given scenario I doubt you could induce more than 1" of parallax error, not enough to worry about.

On most hunting rifles I think it's kind of silly to even have a parallax adjustable scope, they simply aren't needed and add complexity. However, this is the long range hunting forum and I'll concede that for true long range hunting parallax adjustable scopes are required. Fiddling around with parallax on short range shots like 150-250 yds isn't needed though.

I figured as much and some hunting situations my head might not be perfectly center so I was kind of worried about the parallax adjust. I bought this scope because I have had many shots at about 450 yards and the body of a varmit on 9x is pretty darn small but most shots will be taken from 200-400 yards with my 270 a pretty straight shooting caliber.

I figured as much and some hunting situations my head might not be perfectly center so I was kind of worried about the parallax adjust. I bought this scope because I have had many shots at about 450 yards and the body of a varmit on 9x is pretty darn small but most shots will be taken from 200-400 yards with my 270 a pretty straight shooting caliber

Parallax error will increase with scope magnification. If you leave your scope on 4x or 8x for those quick shots you'll minimize the problem.

You can take a rough measurement on the error for yourself. With your gun on a solid rest take aim at an object at the distance in question (say 250 yards). With your side focus set where you want it move your eye side to side in the eye box and see how much your reticle moves on the target. The amount of movement will vary based on scope magnification and how far off your parallax setting is from the actual distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.