Need imput.

long action

Got a call from a young man yesterday. He is wonting to build a 338 Lapua. It will be for long range hunting only from a bench. Weight and cost is not a factor. He mainly would like to do it right the first time.

My custom gunsmith is moving his shop across the state, and can not have it out for a year. At this time he is thinking about a turn key rifle from H S Precision.

I would like more impute than just my advice. So guys jump in here and help me out with a new young shooter. Which way would you go?.

Long Action,
I would stay away from the H-S route if it were me. get a good custom action (my 338Lapua Imp. is on a BAT action) and have one of the gunsmiths on this site put you together a custom rifle. I just had Fiftydriver do a custom project for me a few months ago and could not be happier,for the extra time involved to go custom it is well worth the wait,and I'm sure you can get it back in well under a year.
UB

I would have to agree with UncleB on this one. Not saying that I need to be the one to build the rifle at all but with a custom rifle you will get EXACTLY what you want.

H-S makes a quality rifle for sure but they are not as flexible to the desires of the customer as a custom builder can be. STock options, barrel options, trigger options, brake options, everything can be hand selected which is often a large part of the enjoyment of designing and having a rifle built.

All the smiths on this site, will work with the customer, find out what they want to do with the rifle first, then design a plan to build a rifle to meet their goals. Then the fun starts adding the custom features to get a truely one of a kind rifle that will meet every want and desire of the customer.

Depending on the rifle design, price would not be much differnt then what H-S has to offer.

For a bit more money and alot less time, I would recommend a Nesika Bay receiver. Can get one in shop in 2 months flat compared to four for the BAT. Both are world class but McMillan inlets for the Nesika Bay M receiver. THey do for the big 10" BAT as well but not the smaller BAT receivers.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.