Impute

long action

I am not new to long range hunting. I have several very accurate 1K rifles.

Here is my problem. I have been stricken with a rare neuromuscular disease. Around twelve pounds is the maximum weight rifle I can handle now. The rifle will be used 80% for long rage hunting of varmints and medium big game plus hogs. About 20% for F-Class shooting. I am looking for maximum power versus weight ratio with recoil being a small factor. I manly want 1K accuracy.

At this time I am thinking Rem 700 short action. Shilen Match barrel in varmint profile. Stock will be H-S precision PST60A because I love thumb holes.

For caliber I am leaning towards the 7mm SRUM.

The rifle will be built by Glen Pearce. He has built all of my guns.

Please feel free to add your input on any are all of the choices I have made. This will be my last custom rifle. I won't to get it right.

Though I don't post much here. I have the highest regards for the experience here.

Thank you for you're time.
Ronnie Robison-Lohman Gold Staff.

Looks like your on the right tract,

Any short 7mm will work.

The 1000yrd NRA Matches At Camp Perry has been won several
times with a 7-08 .

The 7WSM or the 7SAUM apear to be very accurate and add
200 to 300fps over the 7-08/7-57 with very little increase
in felt recoil.

Good Luck
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You might consider getting whichever barrel you decide on fluted, also to keep the weight down and maintain strength you could use the Badger Ordnance titanium recoil lug, aluminum bottom metal and their new aluminum tactical mounts. I would go with the 7mm WSM since the WSM series may have a longer "shelf-life" than the short Remingtons. George Gardner recently built an 8 lb 7WSM that is driving tacks - he used a Broughten barrel I believe and his first group went something like 0.164" at one hundred yards...

[ QUOTE ]
Around twelve pounds is the maximum weight rifle I can handle now

[/ QUOTE ]

When Kirby asked me what barrel to put on the 300 RUM he was building for me I said, 48" long, 3.5" thick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good thing kirby has patience and experience. I ended up with a Lilja 30" barrel max size that looks good/fits my receiver. the gun weighs 12lbs. It's a lot heavier than my .270 WSM A-Bolt with 22" factory (skinny) barrel. The .270 I can shoot silhouette very good, but the new gun is too heavy. I've been hitting the weights but perhaps it will never be the optimal silhouette gun.
Lots of good posts here from guys that have lightweight guns, much less than 12 lbs.
Full range report comming soon.

Thanks guys. Glad I came here. Most of the advice I have been getting had me looking at the SRUM. It looks like the opinion here is in favor of the WSM.

The reason I posted here was to draw on this much experience. As you can tell by my user name. I haven't done much serious work with short actions.

Thanks
Ronnie

Long Action: Here is an idea if you want a heavier gun that you can still lift. Install a removable forend plate for weight and stable platform. You could install 1/4-20 "T" nuts or some people call them blind nuts in the stock and bolt on the plate once you get everything to the bench. For example, a 1/2" thick by 3" wide by 20" long steel plate would be 8.75 lbs. A 5/8" thick piece would be 10 1/2 lbs. If you want I could e-mail you a picture of my big gun with a 1" plate to give you an idea what it could look like. Just another idea. Sam.

Sam11. I would appreciate you e-mailing me what you have done.

I am very open to any and all suggestions. Other than the action I am using nothing is set in concrete.

Many Thanks
Ronnie

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.