need help

dawg4life

Here's my story-
I tried a cabela's pine ridge tactical turret scope 6-18x40 and i really liked it. It took awhile to get it sighted in but eventually I started getting a good group with it. I got it zeroed in and came home and was going to set my turrets back to zero(forgot my allen wrench when i left my house) and took the first allen screw out and the turret, and its insides, fell off in my hand! Well needless to say its being shipped back to cabela's as we speak.

Now I've been looking at some different scopes and I've stumbled upon this mueller and I really like it. I would like to see if anybody has any positive or negative feedback about it. I will be putting it on a savage axis 22-250 and most likely be shooting mostly 50 grain bullets for targeting and some coyotes. Also where's the best place to buy from? I have found this one but if anybody knows of a better deal I always like to save money. Mueller 8.5-25x44 Tactical Riflescope

While I'm still leaning toward the mueller what info does anybody have on these.....

Nitrex TR One 6-20X50mm
Bushnell Trophy 6-18x50 XLT
Weaver 6.5-20X44 Varminter

I have a friend with a Muller. Neather he or I are real impressed with it. Get a Leupold with target turrets. All of them that I have owned have all tracked right on the money.

You might want to give the Weaver a try. It would be a better choice. I'd stay away from the Mueller and look elsewhere. If you're looking to save $ check out Ebay and find a Leupold 6x18 with turrets

Do eathier of you have any reason to not get a mueller? Both of you say not too but you give no reason? And if I was interested in any other scopes I would have listed them I'm only asking about these specific scopes. Also why the Weaver? Do you have a reason for picking it?

In the optics game you get what you pay for. The reason I suggested a Leupold is simply the tracking. This is really important when shooting long distance. Leupold, Nightforce...are all top of the line scopes. Unfortunately if you want nice optics you gotta pay for it.
As for the Weaver, they have been around a long time and are one of the favorites amongst the ppc shooters. They have a good name and a decent price on their scopes.

Well I'd love to drop a grand on a scope but I'm in college there for I'm poor. I dont feel comfortable buying a used scope because my luck I'll get screwed over..... my budget is about $230 and thats pushing it for me really. Yea it sucks but gotta get through school. Maybe when I graduate I can build a awsome gun but for now I gotta do what I can with what I got.....

I certainly understand. Sometimes it doesn't get much better even when you get out of college. Then you have a family:)
If I were you I'd check some of the earlier post on here and glean from them what you can. Also check Ebay as you can find some good buy's on there.
One last thought, if you could stretch your money out just a bit further the SWFA Super Sniper scope is one of the best for the money. Sometimes you can find them floating around here.
Best of luck

I have a couple of Leapers scopes that perform pretty well for the price. Decent optics and good mildots. Side focus, illuminated, and half way decent turrets.
I have never had a Mueller but they do have a low approval from what I have heard.

Vortex Optics. A great deal on a solid product. Their customer service is awesome, and their warranty on scopes, great. Perfect for a college student. The glass itself may not be $2000++, but they are good scopes from good people. The Viper series may be a bit more than you are looking to spend, but the Diamondback series may well have what you are looking for. The Crossfire is the least expensive, but I do not have any personal experience with them. Then again, if it breaks Vortex Optics CS has your back.

Good Shooting,
Gary

The Diamondback and Vortex I know track well. They also have a PST line that is entry level tactical, those I have not personally played with. Some of them are just now really hitting the "shelves" release wise. I hear they are great, but might be over your budget. Certainly worth clicking the links while you are at Vortex site.

Have a good one,
Gary

I like the Vortex scopes they look nice my only problem is they do run a little too high and the one that is on sale for $99 does sit comfortable with me. I heard they were factory defected scopes. I mean why would they start saling $200 scopes for $99? I dont want one if they have defects when they are brand new. Also does anyone have any experience with a nitrex by weaver scope?

*Puts on Nomex Undies* Ya know what? I have had no less than (3) Tasco 3x9 mil dot scopes. One on a .22LR (yawn), one on a 300wm (500+ rnds and counting), and the last one ended up on a friends 338wm (over 300 rnds and counting). Now, if you want to crank on the knobs like a military deployed sniper, this scope is *NOT* for you!! :) But if you want a very inexpensive, but surprisingly solid hunting scope, this may very well serve your needs!

The guy who owns the 338wm likes to shoot out to about 600 yards. He has a plow disk setup on a chain swinger. The weapon is not a bench queen at all, it is his heavy hitter hunting weapon.

Am I saying Tasco rules? Heh, NOPERS!!!!! But some days when money is TIGHT you gotta do what you gotta do, so you can afford to go shoot right? I know a lot of scope snobs ( I am sorta guilty myself some days, but wont go into that here ) who Hate Tasco so bad they literally froth at the mouth at the mere mention of one! But I am here to shout it out, The Tasco 3x9 mil: Tasco World Class Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

It is not often you will ever hear me say out load "Go Get A Tasco", but I DO use these for some things!! At one point money was *TIGHT*, hell it still is, but I got tired of low end scopes, so scrimped and saved for a year and a half and bought an IOR 3x18-42 and I have not really looked back since! Night and day difference to the point I can not believe the difference it makes. I am basically waiting for my 2 remaining (gave the one to my friend with the 338wm) Tasco's to eventually die, then will spring for another "real" scope or two. Right at the moment, they are steadfastly refusing to die however! Now, if i got stoopid and started cranking on the knobs every time I took a shot (you can only do that day in day out with a Real Scope) I guarantee I could break it pretty quickly. But then, This is true of most sub $600+++++ scopes.

Ok gents, feel free to flame away /grin, I am a big boy I can take my "medicine" gun)

Gary

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.