Need Help

huntinhobo

Howdy,
I am new to this sight and really to shooting past 300 yards with my big game rifles, and was wanting to know if you guys had any advice on what load i should use for 30-338. I am wanting to be able to hit a pop can at 500 plus with no problem. I was thinking a 180 grain Barnes triple shock????
Any thoughts???????

I run high BC, match quality, bullets. I would start with Bergers 230 Hybrid. Second choice, SMK 240, requires 9 twist, but would likely work in a ten in the 30-378. Third choice would be a 200 grain Accubond.

If Barnes are what you like, they'll certainly work well for your range. Five hundred yards quickly becomes a chip shot. The big, high BC bullets really pay off at longer ranges. Get a 230 shooting well, and you'll have a mile of reach.

The big bullets also really help in efficient powder burn in the big cases. This equalls better velocity spreads and better accuracy at long range.

I run high BC, match quality, bullets. I would start with Bergers 230 Hybrid. Second choice, SMK 240, requires 9 twist, but would likely work in a ten in the 30-378. Third choice would be a 200 grain Accubond.

If Barnes are what you like, they'll certainly work well for your range. Five hundred yards quickly becomes a chip shot. The big, high BC bullets really pay off at longer ranges. Get a 230 shooting well, and you'll have a mile of reach.

The big bullets also really help in efficient powder burn in the big cases. This equalls better velocity spreads and better accuracy at long range.

+1

I used the 200 gr SMK at 1000 yard + targets with great success in the 30/338 and feel that the
200 gr bullets should be minimum to get the most out of this round.

With so many good bullets in the range of 200 to 250 grains it is just a matter of which one
your rifle likes best.

J E C USTOM

Thanks a bunch, what scopes do you guys run?
i have a leupold vx-3 right now 4.5-14 but was thinking i may need to bump it up. My sgt was saying that it would make life a thousand times easier with tmr so ive been looking at the mark 4 just because of the crazy good discount active military gets.

I like the barnes bullets too and i think the 200 grain lrx would do a fantastic job for your application

Now will it matter if the bullet is a match bullet as apposed to a hunting bullet?

This is a heated debate. I've been using Bergers for several years. I have not had a terminal failure. Thousands, if not millions are having great success with them as well. There is no shortage of evidence supporting thier terminal effectiveness. The accuracy and long range performance are superb. Barnes makes a penetrator. Thier bullets are good bullets. Unfortunately, the BC and velocity window they open at leaves a lot to be desired in a long range bullet. The Accubonds are a great compromise.

You should understand how Bergers and other bullets function terminally. They all have different characteristics, different velocity windows, etc.

Your VX3 is a good scope. The mark 4 is a better scope. As for the reticle, I prefer reticles that are the same as my turrets. I use MOA systems. Nightforce and Vortec PST offer reticles I like. The TMR isn't a bad reticle. MOA is simpler for me to use.

Now will it matter if the bullet is a match bullet as apposed to a hunting bullet?

A good hit is the most important thing for long rang hunting, then the terminal performance.

Try to find a good hunting bullet first, if your rifle does not like any of them then try a match
bullet. if they work, trimming the Meplat will improve the consistency of expansion and the
terminal performance.

A good long range performer that is often overlooked is the Ballistic tip. It is very close to
the accuracy of the Match Kings and performs very good at extreme distance where velocities
fall below 2000 ft/sec.

I have had very good luck with the Accubonds and the Bergers also.

Again, Bullets around 200 to 210 grains will be best for the 30/338 size case.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.