Need help with the dream gun

Another question for the masses, what would you be willing to do to cut weight?

length of barrel 20, 22, 24, 26" ? in a 6.5-284 how short can i go before feeling the effect.

i dont mind going blind magazine

titanium reciever?

skeleton bolt handle

spiral fluted bolt

what else?

I have a remington moutain gun in 7mm08 i think it is about 6 to 6.5 lbs. but it is a 20" feather weight barrel, it may even be 18" leopold 2-7x33mm(i think) talley aluminum one piece rings.

i love the gun but i want a big brother to it. so 7 lbs is where i would like it with scope and everything. lighter than that is better.

last deployment i bought a car, this deployment its a gun.

Your question is what would I do? I'd build the gun to exactly what I want and let the chips fall where they may as far as weight...but, that's me and I don't mind carrying a heavy gun. Insofar as making a 7 pound rifle w/scope the barrel length is going to be dependent on contour and even in a narrow contour I don't think much past 20" is going to get you 7 or under.

If you have the barrel cut to 20" you'll be missing all those benifits the .284 case can give you. It has pretty close to the same volume as the '06 case. My old Hodgdon #26 has the .30/06 and the .30/.284 listed together. 24" would be my minimum barrel length for the 6.5mm x .284, performance will suffer otherwise. If you just gotta' have a 20" barrel you might as well have it chambered for .260.

i have read on some of the websites that the 6.5/284 is used in short actions, but if i want to load the bullets out to save powder room i need a long action right?

Yep! S.A. magazine box length is 2.85", + or -. Montana Rifle Co.s' short acton has a mag box length of 3.125", the longest I know of , but, there may be others. Some S.A.s' can have the feed port lengthened and then use an after market box to get out to 3.06", need to adjust bolt stop so bolt travels back far enough to pick-up next round.

Gun is almost ready-
Over all it was a good experience, and when i get a chance to shoot i will post some results.
So lessons learned
= ABS, good company (we had a few issues but everything was resolved with me coming out on top)
= Stiller, good, had a slight problem, once again ended up in my favor
= Gordy (my gunsmith)- fantastic. answered all my questions quickly accuratly, gun looks great
= Lone Wolf- of all the companies i had to deal with - worst customer assistance

havent got to shoot the gun yet (back in Iraq currently) but i look forward to some leave and some shooting

ended up putting a sworrovski scope on it

What stock model did you go with and what did rifle finish at , bare bones, do you have a rail type scope mount?

I believe the color is called timber, and its the lonewolf stock desined for ABS/christensen barrels. it has the picatinny rail. and i dont have a final weight because unfortunatly i havent gotten my hands on it yet

Update on the gun.

Went hunting (whitetail) got one small buck at about 75 yards, never got to stretch the rifles legs.

Went target shooting a couple days ago and got my best ever group. 3 shots in .82" (center to center) at 300 yards! Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I am going to chrono the load and try to see if my group was a fluke (maybe a 4 or 5 round group this time).

So far I love this gun, shoots great but I have had a few problems with feeding. Hope I can work it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.