need help with redding t7 set-up

pjracer

i placed my dies in the head and i could not get my shoulders set back enough to my settings. do i need different shellholders? i tried lee and rcbs that i have on hand. thanks for your help.

Re: Need help with Redding T-7 set-up

Need more info:

Cartridge
Rifle
Dies

Shellholders are a standard height. Have you loaded this combination in another press? Are you shooting a tight-chambered rifle that you haven't loaded for before?

Any other details? Have you attempted to re-adjust your lock rings?

Re: Need help with Redding T-7 set-up

Need more info:

Cartridge
Rifle
Dies

Shellholders are a standard height. Have you loaded this combination in another press? Are you shooting a tight-chambered rifle that you haven't loaded for before?

Any other details? Have you attempted to re-adjust your lock rings?

.308, .270 win, and 22-250 (rcbs dies)which have been loading for and yes they have tight chambers, all sako. used a Rc 3 press was able to cam it over to get desired shoulder set back. i have alot of cam pressure on the turret and not getting enough set back afraid to go more because the turret head lifts alot. buddy of mine told me to turn shellholders down or buy the redding dies, he said body may be shorter???

I agree that your die is a little longer than your chamber, and excessive cam-over won't help. You can either lap (emery paper on a glass surface) a shellholder or shorten your die. Shortening the die requires a machinist who has a tool-post grinder for his lathe. I suggest that you contact RCBS; they may do the work gratis. I wouldn't buy any more dies unless you particularly want those dies.

Cam-over just abuses your press; once the die and shellholder are in full contact, no further sizing is being performed. The Redding presses have stops built in to prevent actually going over center.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.