Need help with my first long range rifle and caliber

giannid

I've been shooting and hunting for many years and have finally decided to put together a long range big game/target gun. In my collection of guns I own a few slug guns including a savage bolt action slug gun, savage smokeless muzzleloader, Ar 15, Fal, and a savage model 12 223. I'm not new to shooting and shoot good groups out to 300 yards some of my guns. I live in a shotgun/ muzzleloader only state(ohio) for whitetail so never got into the long range rifle game. Was thinking of getting a 308 since I'm already set up to reload with it for my FAL but seems like it's not the caliber of choice. I'd like to put together a gun I can go out west and hunt elk and other big game with. I'm a little recoil sensitive so I'm not sure on the magnum cartridges like 7mm or 300 mag and I'm not sure there's a purpose for them. Was looking at the 6.5 creedmoor or 260. Will these serve my needs for whatever I want to hunt in North America within reason? I already have a scope I picked up for the new rifle a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP from a friend. Also looking for a rifle to buy in my new caliber. I've always had good luck with savage rifles and was thinking a long range hunter 11/111. I'd like to keep the rifle at about $1000 give or take a few. Or would I be better off buying another savage or a used action and having it rebarreled? I have access to shoot to 600 yard range and 1000 if I drive awhile. Obviously don't think I'd be shooting at anything that far except paper but it would be nice to punch holes in paper or steel targets at that distance. Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to the whole long range shooting game.

Between the two I'd go 260 the ability to shoot the 140 grain vld and a super all around hunting rifle. We run a ton of 260's from match work to hunting and they all perform great and do the intended job really well.

We have loaded for several of the savage 260 and it is a pretty easy task to get one to shoot sub 1/2 with either 4831 sc or 4350.

If you have any questions feel free to holler we will help you with what ever we can...welcome to the club!

Jordan@406

Giannid, Although I live in PA and I can hunt with a rifle, I'm pretty much researching the same calibers you are. I shot magnums in my early 20s and I'm not against the big barrel burner but I'm looking to get into something a little more pleasurable to shoot. I'm torn between the .260 and the creedmore. The calibers are so similar but I dont reload so it seems like the creedmore maybe the way to go. I too an trying to get into something with a reasonable weight, that I can pack, hunt, and take to the range. I guess a dual purpose gun.

If I were to pick one that matches your description I would go with the 6.5x284. Currently I shoot a .264 Win mag and love it but if I wanted one with a tad less powder that's the one I would choose. The ballistics are great but the performance people record on game is what makes that caliber stand out.

I haven't really looked at the 6.5 by 284 but maybe I should. Reason I'm leaning towards the Creedmoor is it seems the match grade factory ammo is cheaper the the 260 or other 6.5. I do reload but it would be nice to start with some factory ammo to start out with and get some brass from. Also I've read the 6.5x 284 is hardest on barrels. Is the 6.5x 284 the hardest hitting round of the bunch? Seems like everyone is leaning towards the Creedmoor these days. Even seen some Creedmoor ammo on the shelves of gun shops lately but none of the other stuff.

You said you would like to have a gun where you could go out west and hunt elk. Those mentioned in the tread may not be the best choice. Personally any 7 or 300 breaked correctly would meet your needs. Besides, reloading components are much easier to find then what has been mentioned.

Well I think I won't be doing too much Elk hunting but may do some. I'm just not sure the 7mm or 300mag will be a good purchase since I'll only being doing it on occasion if I do. Not to mention I'm kind of recoil sensitive.

I am a little recoil sensitive as well and big guns make me nervous. A good break minimizes that risk. Either of the 6.5s you mentioned are great calibers and are quite capable out to 500 yards even on elk. Many people will tell you they are too small but a quality bullet in the vitals will pile up an elk. There are videos on YouTube of both a Creedmore and a 6.5x284 taking elk at long range. Have fun and know that they are all good calibers and fun to shoot.

The best all around calibers I've found are 7mm RemMag and .300 WinMag. You can kill anything on the continent with either one, when used inside of their respective ranges. The 7mm RM and .300 WM are so close ballistically, that it is almost a toss-up. Both are excellent calibers. Personally, I'm a 7mm RemMag fan. It is my favorite all-around caliber, even though I have a very diverse collection. Everyone has their favorites, and i want one of (almost) every caliber. Can't ever have too many guns.

After owning two 7mm RemMags with muzzle brakes, now a 3rd, you put a good Holland brake on it, and it will kick like a 7mm-08. And that is no lie.

If the rifle will be used occasionally for elk and it will not be used as a competition rifle, the 6.5x284 is the way to go. It will deliver 140grain bullets at a higher velocity than the 260 or the creedmoor. You can also get Lapua brass for it.

You said you would like to have a gun where you could go out west and hunt elk. Those mentioned in the tread may not be the best choice. Personally any 7 or 300 breaked correctly would meet your needs. Besides, reloading components are much easier to find then what has been mentioned.

I think you need to stick to a 7mm or 300 cal rifle for what you say you are looking for. if you intend at some time to hunt long range (this is the long range hunting forum) then you will want the heavier higher BC bullets that these cals offer. Having a good muzzle brake on a decent weight rifle will recoil similar to a lighter rifle with no brake, so its a win win as far as having the knock down power at range, being able to shoot long range at paper/steel, and having similar recoil.

as far as what to get, look on the classifieds for a good deal. there are a few very good deals on 300 WM 5R rifles in your pricerange. there are some nice custom and semi custom 7mm and 300s too. I really think those rifles will be your best bet. could some of the smaller 6mm and 6.5mm rifles kill an elk. absolutely, but at a limited range compared to the 7mm and above.

really its all about what you want to do. if you think shooting an elk at 800-1000 yds sounds fun, a 6.5 won't do it. if 3-400 is the max you would ever want to shoot, go for the smaller cals

Lapua also makes 260 brass and in favorable conditions the 260 will handle elk to 600 if you do your part.

That being said if you want more juice nothing wrong with the 7mm or 300 win
Just remember the caliber doesn't make the shooter and horse power is only as useful as the driver .

Jordan@406

I think you need to stick to a 7mm or 300 cal rifle for what you say you are looking for. if you intend at some time to hunt long range (this is the long range hunting forum) then you will want the heavier higher BC bullets that these cals offer. Having a good muzzle brake on a decent weight rifle will recoil similar to a lighter rifle with no brake, so its a win win as far as having the knock down power at range, being able to shoot long range at paper/steel, and having similar recoil.

as far as what to get, look on the classifieds for a good deal. there are a few very good deals on 300 WM 5R rifles in your pricerange. there are some nice custom and semi custom 7mm and 300s too. I really think those rifles will be your best bet. could some of the smaller 6mm and 6.5mm rifles kill an elk. absolutely, but at a limited range compared to the 7mm and above.

really its all about what you want to do. if you think shooting an elk at 800-1000 yds sounds fun, a 6.5 won't do it. if 3-400 is the max you would ever want to shoot, go for the smaller cals
Sound advice. I have purchased 7 rifles now from other members here through the classifieds and have two more on the way.

There is no better place to shop and if a guy isn't going to use one of the LRH sponsors or Len for a custom there is no better way to support our LRH community than to swap and trade amongst ourselves.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.