help with long range caliber...

radnur22

i am in the market for a custom long range rifle. initially, i wanted to go with the 338 edge, but i was chatting with a gun smith and he recommended the 7mm class for 1,000yds. according to pointblank software, the 338 edge with a muzzle velocity of 2,900fps and 300gr SMK's hits like a sledge hammer at 1K. this is with a 29" barrel. does anyone have ballistic info on the 7mm WSM, 7mm RUM and 300 RUM with 29-30" barrel? is 29" too long for the WSM? what is the max effective distance of all of the above calibers, lets say elk? right now, i have a 300 WSM with a 24" barrel that spits 165gr interbonds at 3050fps with .3 MOA.

338 Edge

Hi what is wrong with the 338 hitting like a hammer. For 1000Yards+ inless you go with an Allen Mag in 7mm or 270 the 338 is a better option.

Cheers Bill
Australia

7mm is a good for 1000 yards, but not as good as a 338. The 338 edge is a great round for 1000k. 338 Lapua is a great choice as well. The edge has better ballistics, but lapua has better brass.

I love my 7mm stw, but for 1000k the 338 gets the nod.

both are hammers. if elk was going to be on the top of the list then i would go with the 338. if its mostlt deer with an occasional elk then i would go with the stw or maybe a 300jarret or ultra.

Run your own balistics through a balistic program like JBM. You can compare for yourself and make the decision that you want.

I have worked with most of those calibers and recoil is an issue. Are you recoil shy? If that is the case I would go with the 7mm Mag . There is no notable difference in power or accuracy and not as picky as the 7WSM. These days technology is so great you can go with a lighter rig and get great results and not need a gun bearer to help you carry it. This makes for a more duel purpose rig.Hope this helps

I have worked with most of those calibers and recoil is an issue. Are you recoil shy? If that is the case I would go with the 7mm Mag . There is no notable difference in power or accuracy and not as picky as the 7WSM. These days technology is so great you can go with a lighter rig and get great results and not need a gun bearer to help you carry it. This makes for a more duel purpose rig.Hope this helps
For anything from the 300 Rum on down, recoil isn't much of an issue at all unless you are shooting a pretty light rig and don't have a decent muzzle brake.

A good muzzle brake will reduce felt recoil by half or more and with the addition of inertial recoil reducers (mercury recoil reducers in particular) it's just not an issue for anyone who's not terribly recoil sensitive.

You can easily reduce the felt recoil of the 300 Rum to that of about a 308 just with a decent brake, and the 300wm or wsm's can be toned down to about that of a 243 very easily the same way.

Add the mercury recoil reducer to that and they can get very pleasant to shoot in a hurry.

If you are torn between a 7 and a .338, have you given any thought to a 30? You have the best bullet selection available with less recoil than a 338 and more pop than a 7. Here is an example: My 30/375 S.I. will launch a 215 Berger at 3050 with accuracy and if you use Bergers data, will have 1000 ft. lbs. at 1600 yards and 1800'/sec.(which Berger claims expansion) at 1200 yards. If you run the numbers against the 7 and .338, I think you will be impressed.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.