Need help with finding a rifle.

cap06040

Hello everyone,

I am new to the long range hunting scene but very interested. I need some input on rifles that are good to start with but still have exceptional quality and accuracy. I ran into the Savage model 11 FNS, and 11 FCNS, and also looking at the Remington 700 SPS varmint all in .308. I am not looking to shoot over 600 yards, I am just learning. I would love some help and guidance in this choice.

Thank You

-C.J. Plante-

Cap - Although the Savages are nice rifles, I personally lean towards the Remingtons because that's what I have. Also, everyone makes aftermarket parts for the Rem700 and all gunsmiths will work on them.

The Rem700 SPS Varmint in 308 is a great choice for a first rifle. Although you only plan to shoot 600 for now, the 308 is certainly capable of shooting 1000 yards.

Once you have the rifle, I would encourage you to do a few things to maximize the accuracy (this is pretty much true of any rifle, not just Remington)....

1. trigger
2. stock
3. bedding
4. recrown

My nephew's rifle went through the same transformation that I'm suggesting you do...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

Similarly, my entry into LRH was with the Rem700 SPS Varmint in 308.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

After shooting the rifle for a while, I used the action to go all-custom!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Hope that answers some of your questions.

trebark,
Thank you for the input. I think I will inevitably select the 700. do you have any words on optics. A scope that is also good quality while not going to break the bank. I have been shooting a 17HMR with a cheaper Center Point 4x16x50 mil dot scope and have had some pretty good luck with that. On a calm day I have been able to group shots in to 1 3" group at 300 hundred yards. A windy day its about a 6" spread. A 17 HMR moves quit a bit in the wind. haha. So any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again,

-cap-

The scope I initially put on my 308 was the Bushnell 3200 fixed 10x. Made the choice based on this article:

Low Priced Long Range Scopes

Turned out to be a great choice. It performed well (clear optic, easily adjustable and repeatable knobs) and I bought it on ebay for $165 NEW!

My Rem700 SPS Varmint in 223 now wears the 3200. The next up in quality/value would be Nikon. Although, IMHO, the best value is the Sightron SIII series. You can pick-up an SIII for ~$800

SWFA Sightron Riflescopes Sightron SIII Riflescopes

The SII Big Sky series is pretty nice too and they are less expensive.

Other than my 223, all my rifles wear Leupold MK4 or VX3 scopes.

(my 280 wears the VX3) http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

My recommendation, as I believe many of this forum will tell you, buy a scope that you can get by with, then save your money and buy the best optics you can. For example, my newest project is a 300RUM that I bought several months ago. Intially, I thought I would put a Leupold VX2 on it, then upgrade when I really made my mind up to customize it. I realized that what I should do is just go ahead and put a MK4 on it...so I did. You cannot go wrong with top notch optics.

trebark,
Thank you for the input. I think I will inevitably select the 700. do you have any words on optics. A scope that is also good quality while not going to break the bank. I have been shooting a 17HMR with a cheaper Center Point 4x16x50 mil dot scope and have had some pretty good luck with that. On a calm day I have been able to group shots in to 1 3" group at 300 hundred yards. A windy day its about a 6" spread. A 17 HMR moves quit a bit in the wind. haha. So any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again,

-cap-

BTW....you can shoot 1moa at 300 with a 17HMR...awesome!

The SPS varmint is a good rifle for the money and a great oportunity to begin meddleing in LRH.

Stock:
If you are trying to keep on the lower price end, look at the Bell and Carlson Medalist stocks. They run roughly 200.00 and have an aluminum bedding block. I had good luck with a VLS (roughly same as SPS but a few more options) bedded into a Medalist. It would be a great step up from the stock SPS hardware and provide a more stable base.

Optics:
I second the Bushnell elite. I own a 4200 and it has glass that gives my higher priced optics a run for their money. Another one I haven't tried but many rave about is the Super Sniper from SWFA.

Trigger:
I'm not a huge fan of the new Remmy triggers. I like the larger shoe of the older models and I could tweak them to feel much cleaner. Timney and Rife Basic make decent models that shoot better than the Xmark Pro.

This is just my opinion and there are many on this site with a great deal more experience. Try running a search and you'll be surprised at how many started down the same path.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.