Need help with after market bull barrelsand tweeks

Tiree

Just picked up on a 257 weatherby mag. Vanguard stock new in the box for 325 bucks thought that was a steal I have a h&k in 308, a sharps in 45-110 , browning 78 in 25-06 but this is my first mag and have always wanted this calb.but I knows it,s a very hot round too play thith and after about 4 or 5 rounds with out cooling it may not shoot as true so my question is I would like too fit it with a good bull barrel and stock and any thing you might add too tweek this thing out for a decent reach out and touch rifle gun)

You do not mention whether you have even fired the rifle yet. As a general rule a 1 MOA rifle is good enough for hoofed animals out to about 600 yards and the bigger the hoof the further the rule stretches. There is not any need to replace the barrel until you have determined that the barrel is no good. If you reload then you have a lot of options on bullet selection and powder selection. A slow burning powder with a high BC bullet will help things along.

It should be very seldom that you would need to shoot more than twice in a hurry, although that does sometimes happen. Barrel heating up is not a fault of the rifle, it is the fault of the shooter. I don't think it is worth the price of rebarreling. So that is my opinion of the world and it is why I have a 308 that may see 22 rounds go down range in 15 minutes. I don't waste magnum barrels on shooting rapid fire at paper.

Simply develop your loads with about 5-10 minutes of cooling between shots. The last group I shot with a 257 Wby took about 30 minutes to shoot, but group size was less than 0.2. In a three hour test period I might not even shoot 20 rounds.

If you don't reload then I would say spend the money on reloading gear instead of rebarreling because with the reloading gear you probably can get the barrel to shoot plus all your other guns benefit.

Tiree, I also shoot a .257 WBY. and I cant give you any better advice than Buffalobob just did. He hit the nail on the head. Have fun with a great caliber.
Jim

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys I'll use it at it's best and this is my first mag in my small collection but think it will do nicely what would you say about trigger pull and looking at a nikon 3x9 luster too toop it .

Have it adjusted down to about 2-3 pounds by someone competent to do it. I screw around with my triggers occasionally but the operative words are "screw around".

If you have never glass bedded a rifle then after you shoot it a while might be a good time to try it.

I would just say again what I said before.

A 308 with about 44 grains of Varget and a 175 Sierra Matchking is accurate to about a 1000 yards. Practice up with it.

For the 257 Wby get some RL22 or perhaps slower powder and some Berger 115s and some Nosler 110 Acccubonds and see what it likes.

Richard Graves of Wildcat Bullets in Canada makes some very nice 130 grain HP RBBT that will probably stabilize for you.

My personal opinion on scopes is that a Luepold V3 LR 6.5-20 X 50mm would do anything that you need to do with that rifle. If you can afford a Night force then fine but if you can't then the V3 doesn't give away much of anything in the killing range of the 257 Wby.

I don't own any Nikons so I don't have an opinion on them. There is lot of information in the Optics section on scopes. There is also a good article on the Home page about good scopes for low dollars.

trigger

Do not waste your time with the trigger..Have a Timeny put in for 100 bucks and be done with it!

Like BB said--go by reloading equipment. The cost of 257 wby ammo is steep!

Whats wrong with your 25-06? It only gives up 250 to 300fps to the WBY.

Enjoy the new gun and give us a range report with pics:D:

Tiree,
BuffaloBob gave good advise. I can only second it. I own a .25-06 Sendero and for not being a magnum it is very flat shooting. Sometimes it seems to defie the ballistic charts. The .257 WM is only more of a good thing. My rifle likes both the 110 AB and the 115 Berger. Both are great bullets.
I agree with Willys46 on the trigger. Most of the Timneys are do-it-yourself and relatively easy to install. I've installed a couple of them in the past and can say nothing but good about them.
As for scopes: get the absolute best you can afford. I have a VXIII 4.5-14x40 on my 7mmRM 700PSS. I sent it back to Leupold to have a target elevation turret installed years ago and all together I've probably had it for close to 20yrs. On my .25-06 Sendero SF, I have a VXIII 6.5-20x40 that I've only had for less than 10yrs. Neither have missed a bit since I acquired them. I have an older Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 (fine crosshairs) on a Winchester 70 HVB in .243 that is amazing. This particular scope is, I believe, in the same class with the VXIII's. Nikon doesn't make this model anymore that I'm aware of and I've had it over 10 years and it's solid.
If you love guns and love to shoot, you have to reload. It's a no brainer. One enables the other. I've been reloading for 25yrs and still love it.
I wouldn't worry about a new barrel just yet. Get the machine marks outta that one first. It's probably got a long enough barrel (26inches ??) as is to wring a lot outta that cartridge. The 257 Weatherby is known for long range connections and lazer like trajectory. Have fun. JohnnyK.

First trip out

Just got back from the range and rifle shoots well triger is a monster very stiff and just not as smoth as I'de like it too be rifle shooting quarter size groups at 100 put a nikon 3x9 pro. just too see what this thing would do also was only able to get weatherby 257 mag 115gr. and was only able too find 2 boxes of that and at 90+ bucks I know I'LL be rollin these bad boys up! reloading that is lol.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.