Need help with a new hunting caliber ?

Ok guys I currently shoot a Borden 300 wsm 175 grr Berger VLD and love it I only hunt so I am looking for another hunting caliber. The 300 wsm is about all the recoil I want so antherwords a 300 rum is out of the question for me, so I would like something equal to or less recoil than my 300 wsm so knowing this if you were going to get another caliber to hunt deer, mule deer and maybe just one elk with what caliber would you recommend to me ?
Thanks,
Danny
I had a 28 Nosler built for an elk rifle last year and I shoot 195 bergers at 3050 fps. I have an APA brake on it and my wife can shoot it with no problem at all. I wanted a lightweight deer rifle this year so Im building a 6.5 SAUM. I like the idea of a 143 ELD X moving at 3200 fps with a light short action rifle.

Innovation is a wonderful thing and I personally welcome it with an open mind. Like it or not, 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, Nosler offerings, etc., are innovations.

Their emergence has nothing to do with providing a solution but rather another choice to choose from for those that are willing and able to embrace it. More choices is an excellent problem to have. Those that innovate gains a competitive advantage.

Last edited:
I started shooting the 7mm-08 when I was too young to hunt with a 7mmRM. When I turned 16, I bought a 7mmRM, but never had a deer get away from that 7mm-08. So, I will always have respect for the 7mm-08. I would love to build a purpose-built 7mm-08 AI to push the 195 Elite Hunters, like I do with my .308 Win and the 210's and 215's.
.260, same case, better ballistics, less recoil.

It filled a niche when it first came out, mainly as an attractive cartridge for women and kids to kill deer with to get them into the sport. It has far been surpassed in every way with the resurgence of the 6.5's.

I just never got onto the bandwagon.

.260, same case, better ballistics, less recoil.

It filled a niche when it first came out, mainly as an attractive cartridge for women and kids to kill deer with to get them into the sport. It has far been surpassed in every way with the resurgence of the 6.5's.

I just never got onto the bandwagon.
Less recoil yes, but far surpassed in every way? Nah. The .260 only has better ballistics until a certain bullet weight/distance, which is where the 7mm will always take over for a 6.5mm. ;) I love the .260, but I do recognize the limitations of it. And the limitations for the 7mm-08. And the .30-06, etc... etc... etc... And everything will always be both better and worse than something else.

Last edited:
Less recoil yes, but far surpassed in every way? Nah. The .260 only has better ballistics until a certain bullet weight/distance, which is where the 7mm will always take over for a 6.5mm. ;) I love the .260, but I do recognize the limitations of it. And the limitations for the 7mm-08. And the .30-06, etc... etc... etc... And everything will always be both better and worse than something else.
You're going to give up so much velocity going to the heavier 7mm that at any practical hunting distances the 6.5 is just going to run away from it and shoot much flatter.

You're going to give up so much velocity going to the heavier 7mm that at any practical hunting distances the 6.5 is just going to run away from it and shoot much flatter.
Yes, but despite the slower initial velocity, the retained velocity of the high BC 7mm is retained downrange. I would say that if the 7mm-08 pushing heavies does not hold better LR ballistics, then it will be at least nearly equal to the .260 with heavies.

Get on jbm and run the numbers. It will probably be an eye opener when looking at usable hunting vel and overall trajectory. 7mm will always hold the advantage of bullet dia.

Steve

Get on jbm and run the numbers. It will probably be an eye opener when looking at usable hunting vel and overall trajectory. 7mm will always hold the advantage of bullet dia.

Steve
If this is the case, then why does everyone claim a .338 RUM is better than a .300 RUM? Or a .300WM is better than a 7mm RemMag?

Not sure exactly what you mean. The only thing I can gather from your post is the "better one" is larger in dia.

Steve
You said that the only advantage the 7mm had over the 6.5mm is bullet diameter. Therefore you must think the 6.5mm is superior (ballistics-wise). Which seems to be the new M.O. for all the 6.5mm supporters. But in the same breath, they'll tell you that a .338 always beats the .30 caliber, and that the .30 caliber beats the 7mm...Which is the polar opposite narrative of what they just said concerning the 6.5 vs 7mm. They claim the oversized attributes of the bigger heavier higher BC .338 makes it better than the 7mm, but how is it possible that a smaller, lighter, and lower BC 6.5mm is better than a bigger heavier and higher BC 7mm bullet, when pushed by the same exact case? Ballistically the argument doesn't make sense, is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Steve
I said no such thing mud. Read it again.

All I was saying is spend some time running ballistics of different bullets and cartridges and compare what they do. It is really the only way to make a comparison that is factually based. Not the Ford Chevy argument. It is time well spent. Print them out so they can be compared sxs. When comparing different calibers it should not be over looked that the larger dia bullets hold an advantage, in most cases, for terminal performance.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.