Need help with a new hunting caliber ?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! LOL!!!!! This is the same think you were preaching for years on every thread about the 6.5 Creedmoor. Wait and see what it does. Who knows maybe even REMINGTON will decide to chamber it someday. God forbid. So funny.
No, I said the 6.5CM was a trend. It still is...Albeit a popular one. Up until 10 years ago, nobody (except competition shooters) in the USA really wanted anything to do with a 6.5mm. Same with 7mm up until 1962 when Remington made the 7mm RemMag for their brand new Model 700 rifle, and the combo became an instant hit amongst big game hunters. And the 8mm was always treated as a bastard caliber, that's why the 8mm RemMag and .325 WSM both sort of failed to launch, despite both being exceptional big game cartridges. The only thing they were really lacking was high BC bullet options for LR shooting/hunting.

I would suggest a 6.5, in any variant. If you load I'd chose 6.5x284. If not I'd run a 6.5 with factory options (creed,etc).

Save ur 300 for your elk and use the 6.5 for deer. The 6.5's will work for elk as well.

243, 6mm still excellent options for deer as well.

Any 7mm variant would be a great "all around" setup but you already have the 300 which is why i'd Lean 6.5 direction. Either way, it sounds like you're getting a new rig...which is half the fun. Good luck.

Ok guys I currently shoot a Borden 300 wsm 175 grr Berger VLD and love it I only hunt so I am looking for another hunting caliber. The 300 wsm is about all the recoil I want so antherwords a 300 rum is out of the question for me, so I would like something equal to or less recoil than my 300 wsm so knowing this if you were going to get another caliber to hunt deer, mule deer and maybe just one elk with what caliber would you recommend to me ?
Thanks,
Danny
I'm admittedly prejudiced but the 7mm STW is right up your alley. The 28 Nosler would be as well.

I would suggest a 6.5, in any variant. If you load I'd chose 6.5x284. If not I'd run a 6.5 with factory options (creed,etc).

Save ur 300 for your elk and use the 6.5 for deer. The 6.5's will work for elk as well.

243, 6mm still excellent options for deer as well.

Any 7mm variant would be a great "all around" setup but you already have the 300 which is why i'd Lean 6.5 direction. Either way, it sounds like you're getting a new rig...which is half the fun. Good luck.
Not at all bad advice. It never ceases to amaze me just how versatile my .260's are. From Prairie dogs, to Coyotes, deer and even 500 + pound hogs just keep piling up to them.

The added gas behind them from something like the .264wm, 6.5Lrm, or PRC is nice but it sure isn't necessary.

I am looking very closely at the 6.5PRC. I think the advantage of a high BC, 3000 or so fps and a lighter powder charge than the 264 is the ticket for deer ext. Case and size so not to loose powder space and we are looking at a very well balanced and efficient cartridge. Just MHO...

I am looking very closely at the 6.5PRC. I think the advantage of a high BC, 3000 or so fps and a lighter powder charge than the 264 is the ticket for deer ext. Case and size so not to loose powder space and we are looking at a very well balanced and efficient cartridge. Just MHO...
I shoot the 6.5LRM and .264wm as well as the .260's, the difference in recoil between all of them is negligible unless you are a very small framed person or one that is already very recoil shy so I wouldn't let that even be a consideration.

Recoil is not what I am thinking of. My thoughts are more towards barrel life compared to overbore 6.5's.
I am not familiar with the 6.5 LRM. Gotta do some research on that now. Thanks for the heads up on that one WildRose.

Recoil is not what I am thinking of. My thoughts are more towards barrel life compared to overbore 6.5's.
I am not familiar with the 6.5 LRM. Gotta do some research on that now. Thanks for the heads up on that one WildRose.
It's just a necked down .375 Ruger. In fact it's just a necked down 7mm LRM. Ballistic ally there's a bit of a gain over the .264wm and a more efficient cartridge but to be honest I bought it more for the action than anything but since it was a hot little 6.5 I'll probably shoot it till I'm too old to do so.

Do you have a goal of any kind other than just getting a new rifle? Is there something you would like this rifle to do better than the 300 wsm?
If you want a fun rifle to hunt with that is cheap to shoot, a lot, and the barrel will last a long time, while helping you learn wind judging etc... a .308 Winchester would be a good choice. If you are looking for something that is more efficient with better ballistics than the 300 wsm try a 7mm or 6.5mm of some variety. The 6.5-47 Lapua, 6.5mm Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5x55, 6.5-284, and 6.5 saum are all fun and capable cartridges. For 7mm's the 280 ai, 7saum, 7wsm, 7 rem mag should all fit the bill as well; all coming in with less recoil than the 300wsm. If you are a nostalgic hunter its hard not to love a good 270 Winchester.

If that's all you're looking for, the .260 AI, 6.5 Sherman, or 6.5 SS will do everything and more. And they have better brass options.

How fun for you to have to choose a new caliber and cartridge!! I was in your shoes a few years ago. At that time, I owned a 30-06 (my first big game cartridge) and then I got a 300 WSM when I moved to Colorado. Once I put a brake on the 300 WSM, it became a joy to shoot. It's my dedicated elk rifle. Then I got the reloading bug, and started spending a bunch of time on this website doing research. The 7 STW forum caught my interest, and I bought one. It's become one of my absolute favorites. So much so, that I burned the barrel out of it because I shot it so much. The modern day equivalent cartridge is the 28 Nosler. I have a brake on my STW and it's less recoil than my .243. It's a frickin' tack driver, too. So, look for a lightly used STW on this site or buy a 28 Nosler.
If you want a 6.5, decide how much horsepower you want first. I bought a 6.5-284 Norma (from Smokepoles). It's probably one of the best 6.5mm cartridges since it is very efficient, extremely accurate, low recoil and get's the most out of the 6.5 round without being overbore. If you want a flamethrower, look at the 26 Nosler or the 6.5-300 Weatherby. The 6.5 Creemoor is probably the cheapest to shoot, has plenty of factory ammo options, low recoil, great accuracy and will handle most the game you want to hunt to a max of 5-600 yards.
Hell, a 30-06 can do everything you want. Load it up or down in bullet weight. It's extremely versatile and easy to load for. I've kinda rediscovered my 30-06 lately and love that caliber once again

How fun for you to have to choose a new caliber and cartridge!! I was in your shoes a few years ago. At that time, I owned a 30-06 (my first big game cartridge) and then I got a 300 WSM when I moved to Colorado. Once I put a brake on the 300 WSM, it became a joy to shoot. It's my dedicated elk rifle. Then I got the reloading bug, and started spending a bunch of time on this website doing research. The 7 STW forum caught my interest, and I bought one. It's become one of my absolute favorites. So much so, that I burned the barrel out of it because I shot it so much. The modern day equivalent cartridge is the 28 Nosler. I have a brake on my STW and it's less recoil than my .243. It's a frickin' tack driver, too. So, look for a lightly used STW on this site or buy a 28 Nosler.
If you want a 6.5, decide how much horsepower you want first. I bought a 6.5-284 Norma (from Smokepoles). It's probably one of the best 6.5mm cartridges since it is very efficient, extremely accurate, low recoil and get's the most out of the 6.5 round without being overbore. If you want a flamethrower, look at the 26 Nosler or the 6.5-300 Weatherby. The 6.5 Creemoor is probably the cheapest to shoot, has plenty of factory ammo options, low recoil, great accuracy and will handle most the game you want to hunt to a max of 5-600 yards.
Hell, a 30-06 can do everything you want. Load it up or down in bullet weight. It's extremely versatile and easy to load for. I've kinda rediscovered my 30-06 lately and love that caliber once again
My dad's first centerfire was a Remington 740 06 in about 1952-54. It is deadlier today than it was the day he got it due to the advancements in powder and bullet tech.

Out to 600yards with a good 180gr bullet it's pretty well unstoppable on any N. American game.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.