Need Help, which way to go??

HighKnob

My first AR build was a Heavy stainless ER Shaw barrel 1/8 twist. It will not shoot anything below 60 grains well, but shoots .5 on several heavy bullets. I was really wanting something to shoot 50 and 55 grain bullets. I built another ar in a carbine ctr package with 1/9 barrel and am very happy with it, although I've not tried to see what groups would be, only using red dot sights.

My problem is which way to go with the heavy rifle. I don't like all the weight and the 1/8 twist. Should i change the barrel and keep everything else or go with a complete upper or upper without bcg. Just can't decide. I want it to shoot good, but in the 50 to 55 gr. bullets and be a couple of pounds lighter.

What do you think?

I think a barrel swap is the answer. 250 bucks and your back in business. I'm a little surprised the 1/8 won't shoot those my 1/8 shoots 55's and 50's fine seems to shoot heavy ones ok to. Luck I guess.

Heavy barrels, heavy rifles, heavy women... are a matter of perspective.

If the rifle shoots...go to the gym. Don't blame the gun.

If you want a secondary option, just build another upper but don't mess with success.

snox801 That's what I thought and was told also, but mine just will not shoot andthing good below 60 and I've only found one 60 it will shoot. It likes 75 and 77 real well, but not what i was wanting. Anyone interesed in a good heavy bullet barrel??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.