Need help to decided on ar 15 caliber

I'm too lazy to build so I just bought the complete upper from RRA in 300 blackout. I love this round because nothing changes for me as far as magazines and such and when the 5.56 case no longer can be reloaded because the neck split I toss that case into the 5 gallon buck where I will give it a new life, chop the neck off and transform it into a .300 round. Does a good job on all kinds of swine.

I've have nothing good to say about 300 BO. I wanted it to work for me so bad and it failed to deliver in every regard.

6.8 SPC is a great round. Has far greater knockdown power than you would think. For factory loads, I shoot Hornady 120gr SSTs for deer and hogs. Great combination.

This. Works wonders on pigs, deers, yotes, etc. Very low recoil, hits surprisingly hard for the cartridge out to 400 yards. I run a Saker on mine and its super quiet and sub MOA. The 120SS is nasty and There is always Cavity Back bullets.

The 6.8 SPC works very well in short barrels. I an a 12" for a while that shot 90gn Gold Dots so well it was almost boring. The 90GDHP or the 120 SST will dirtnap a person or pig inside 300 and maybe out to 400.

Last time I was in a Walmart they had 115 Federal Fusion on the shelf. No noticeable difference POI in my gun between the two.

Go explore!! https://www.68forums.com/forums/

I've have nothing good to say about 300 BO. I wanted it to work for me so bad and it failed to deliver in every regard.
I understand, but for me within the limitations of my land it is a hard hitter. But I go old school too and use my Winchester 30-30 or my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. It is about knowing the limits on this caliber and staying within those boundaries. One could go larger with a 50 beowulf, after all its only pigs.

I think the tried and true 260 rem. is perfect hog medicine in the ar platform or any other, on the 223 bolt face I think the 6.8 spc would be a good choice with proper bullet selection the 117 shock hammer or a barnes 95gr. ttsx would be my choice

Last edited:
I agree. I have one in 8.5" and its very fun with the subsonic ammo but the only way to get any real performance is to run the very expensive Barnes 110 TTSX. I just didn't see what it gave me that a 12" 6.8 didn't. Does make for a nice short truck gun!

The GRENDEL will give you more bullet options and more brass options now for that matter. That said I still like the on game performance of the 6.8 better. The 110 Accubonds are great and the Nosler 90 grain bonded performance for a walking push em out of the bed load is a crusher. It just seems like the few bullet options that are optimal and built for the 6.8 perform better than the shorter shanked options in the 6.5 (with the exception of the 100 grain .264 Partition, that thing is fast death).

for a dedicated pig gun, i'd go LR308 in 6.5CM. hunting ammo can be had as cheap as $15-16 a box from remington or federal. or you can cook up a good recipe if you hand load. 18-20" barrel with rifle gas, adjustable gas block and suppressed if you can. you could get decent velocity from 110-125gr projectiles and the recoil is not bad at all. throw a 1-6 or 1-8 on it and start slaying hogs.

Need help with AR 15 caliber
for a dedicated pig gun, i'd go LR308 in 6.5CM. hunting ammo can be had as cheap as $15-16 a box from remington or federal. or you can cook up a good recipe if you hand load. 18-20" barrel with rifle gas, adjustable gas block and suppressed if you can. you could get decent velocity from 110-125gr projectiles and the recoil is not bad at all. throw a 1-6 or 1-8 on it and start slaying hogs.

The clear choice is an AR-10 in 6.5 Creed.

OP said he wanted the 15 platform so I didn't go there but my meat stick is a plain Jane .308. Put thousands of pounds of meat on the table over the last six years with it, usually 5-6 hogs between the end of turkey season and start of hunting season then whatever pigs wander through while I'm hunting deer. .308 is uber cheap ammo by comparison to Grendel/6.8/.450 and capable far beyond the Grendel or 6.8.
0605A1AA-5B80-478D-9E08-BAA11E4AC728.jpeg

Last edited:
if you reload, and want to go "hog wild"-- check out the 30 sabercat cartridge, with an 18" barrel it will push a 150gr to 2650, or a 110 to 3100fps -- all on an ar15 lower

What does op stand for ?
OP said he wanted the 15 platform so I didn't go there but my meat stick is a plain Jane .308. Put thousands of meat on the table over the last six years with it, usually 5-6 hogs between the end of turkey season and start of hunting season then whatever pigs wander through while I'm hunting deer. .308 is uber cheap ammo by comparison to Grendel/6.8/.450 and capable far beyond the Grendel or 6.8.
View attachment 194485
What does op stand for?